Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to shoot?

Default Where to shoot?

I bought a used crossbow only to find out there is nowhere to shoot it.
    I emailed every archery range within 50 miles: none of them allow crossbows.
    I'm not willing to drive 50 miles away each time I want to practice shooting. After all the ranges within a reasonable distance said "No," I started asking ones further away just out of curiosity.
    Sacramento has a large, desolate park running through the middle of the city, but:

9.36.060 Firearms, Air Guns, and Other Weapons.
    No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain, possess, fire, or
    discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other weapon potentially
    dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under conditions designated by the
    director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a misdemeanor. (SCC 576 15, 1983.)
    Source: Sacramento County Parks Ordinances

Has anyone else heard of crossbows being unwelcome at archery ranges, or is this a phenomenon unique to northern California? The most practical option I can think of is to set up a target at the closest DFG wildlife area 40 miles away... which doesn't seem that practical.
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    Picky, picky, picky: I'm not looking to share a range with firearms. Part of why I chose a crossbow was for the quiet.
    And how do I put a large space between words when typing a forum entry. Pressing the spacebar multiple times doesn't work.

Things are not much different on the other coastline. Here in NJ, we run into the same problem. There are public archery ranges here, run by our Division of Fish and Game. You bring your own target, and there are no crossbow restrictions. Is there any chance you could set up a target in your yard (if you have one) without the neighbors getting upset? find an archery shop in your area that sells crossbows, and see if they have range time available. Offer to bring your own target. If they sell crossbows, they'd be more inclined to allow you to use the range, especially if you bring your own target. Even better, find a shop that sells the brand of crossbow you bought. Then, contact the manufacturer if that shop denies you the opportunity to use the range.

what brand of crossbow did u buy?
    Last edited by briarpatch; 02-24-2010 at 01:58 PM.

The crossbow I bought is a Barnett. The bow unit is an RC-300 and the stock is a Demon. Their current equivalent model would be the Quad 400.
    I find it dissatisfactory. My biggest gripe is the stock. The bottom of the stock butt is no lower than the bottom of the handle. So when aiming, the bottom corner of the stock butt is pressing against the middle of my shoulder. Another problem is the scope mount is fragile. The metal on the trigger mechanism where it bolts on is about 1 mm thick. It's almost impossible to not strip the threads. And the scope that came with requires me to hold it >3" away from my eye before the sight through it is more than a pinprick.
    I also tried getting a replacement stock, but was unable to. Barnett apparently is not big on replacement parts, unless one considers a whole new crossbow as the replacement part. And you will not find the bolts holding it together in a hardware store: they have oddball lengths and threading.
    So I'm looking at the Crosman Bristol. But I want to find a place to shoot it before I invest.
    Thanks for the suggestion. There was one range that said no because of city ordinance and another because of NFAA requirements. But for the other ranges (who said "No" because of their hay bale targets) I'll reask them stating I'll bring my own target.
    I don't have my own yard as I live in an apartment. But the courtyard is perfect for it: long and narrow. But it would make my neighbors a little nervous. Our neighborhood is inundated with squirrels and feral cats. Both of which are loved dearly by all my neighbors. I'm indifferent to the squirrels and was indifferent to the feral cats until the courtyard turned into a litter box. Then adding insult to injury, all the male cats were competing for the territory of my front door. This happened after a mother cat (who seemed to be putting out a new litter every month) and her kittens started using my 2nd floor enclosed entryway (traps heat) as a sleeping area. And since it's completely enclosed, there wasn't much ventilation.
    I wouldn't ever shoot the cats or squirrels, but I made the joke to a couple neighbors that RC-300 stands for "Removes Cats - 300". They didn't think it was funny. So if they saw me out in the courtyard practicing my marksmanship, they would think I was just looking for an excuse to "accidentally" shoot a cat.
    I contrast this to where I grew up in Montana. If I was in the same situation there, my neighbors would probably ask if they could shoot it too. Instead here I get "What's that for?"

Default At least you're not in the UK...

...I've not shot my crossbow for ages because the only place I've got is my back yard (10 yards/metres). I'm moving house this weekend and my yard will be double the length so I'll shoot again, but for me that's about the only choice. I can't shoot at archery clubs or gun clubs; the only option is to find a private land owner who will let me shoot, but that will probably cost.

My Kit: Barnett Quad AVI + Hawke MAP 3 x 32 Crossbow specific scope
    POWER | 150 DRAW WEIGHT | 120 FT. LBS OF ENERGY | 15.5" POWER STROKE | 345 FPS

been looking for barnett crossbow dealers....they don't have much of a dealer network other than mail order.....I'd still check local archery shops that sell crossbows and inquire about range time....if you offer to bring a target...it might open some doors for you

Thanks for the insight you two.
    So it isn't just California... strange.

just out of curiosity...if you're that unhappy with it...why did you buy it?

It was $100 for: crossbow, 6 bolts, 6 field tips, 5 broadheads, quiver, and scope. Not knowing anything at all about crossbows, when I saw it I thought "Yep, it's a crossbow," and bought it. It was an ad on Craigslist.
    I didn't realize just how used it was until I went out to shoot it. The scope mount was rocking back and forth slightly. I figured this was just a matter of tightening the bolts attaching it to the trigger mechanism. Turning the bolts, there was no increase in tension; they just kept spinning. So I went to unscrew them; same thing, they just kept spinning in place. The threads were already stripped.
    The crossbow would actually be fine, except there is no way to mount a scope on it now that the threads are stripped. It's still fun to launch bolts in a general direction, but looking for them afterwards isn't.
    Also the bolt rail was loose. Tightening those bolts I realized something was wrong there too. Unscrewing them, one of the bolts was staggered; like it had been screwed in half way then bashed from the side. I did manage to get replacement bolts for the rail, but mounting a scope on this crossbow is out of my scope.
    I tried to buy a replacement stock. Something compatible with the RC-300 bow unit, but with a lower stock butt. This would have fixed all my complaints about it as the bow unit is actually quite nice. But, Barnett is not about replacement parts. This probably helps to keep their prices low. And even if they were about replacement parts, I wouldn't want to get the exact same stock. And compatibility would be doubtful.
    I also assumed crossbows would be allowed on the archery ranges. I'm still waiting for a reply if I can shoot my own target.

I'd try and get some of these issues fixed....if you go to a range and you;re not sure where your arrows are going....I feel fairly certain that they'll ask you to exit in short order

I wouldn't be helping the image of crossbow shooters either

+ Reply to Thread