Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bolt length in relation to stock/groove/prod length

Default Bolt length in relation to stock/groove/prod length

I am building a PVC crossbow with a wooden stock. I am using a partially formed stock from a larger project that didn't work out, and I am planning on cutting it down to a smaller stock. The question I have is, what should the general relation be between the bolt length, the groove length and the prod length in the crossbow? For example, I saw one build that involved a 12" prod, a 12" stock (with the groove going halfway, so 6" on that), and 6" bolts.

Do the bolts have to match the groove length?

Should the prod be approx. the same length as the stock and twice the bolt?

Is there a general standard for the size relations of these elements?

I would make it to be comfortable to hold and for the reasons of haveing a stock,to shoulder it for a steady aim,the arrow longer then the grove so a broad head can be on the arrow.
    How wide the limbs are the wider they are the longer the draw length I guess,the narrower they are the shorter the draw length but the stiffer the limbs or prod is and a heavier draw,
    Not really sure how to answer your question,maybe make one copying the size dimensions of a mankung recurve or pistol crossbow
    Most recurves the length of the hole stock and rail together
    Is about the length of the strung limbs/riser or single prod if taken apart and put along side each other

I guess it's more of a safety question but I ask because I have these 6" aluminum bolts that are really nice and pre-made, but I have no idea if the new length of the stock will support them or if it will be a bad idea trying to fire them off a shorter prod.

The 12 long stock or bit longer with 12 wide limbs for 6#bolts sounds about right,with maybe 5inch arrow grove in rail.

+ Reply to Thread