Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new from PA and need info

Default new from PA and need info

Hello all. Just getting into the cross bow game and need lots of
    advice. Being an old fart as well.Should I look for a good used
    one or go new? Also thinking about a hand crank for easier cocking.
    Friends tell me to go excaliber brand but they are pretty pricey for
    one on fixed income..So I am open to suggestions...Thanks

Hello there!
    A secound hand excalibur matrix 355 ,is a good recurve,you have to buy a crank separately.
    The brand Jando make cheaper Excalibur type ,older ,wide limbed style crossbows that are ok for the money.I all ways recommend a recurve,Easyer to tune and change strings then most of the compounds out there.

I have owned 4 Excaliburs trying to decide which was best for me. The 355 was too hard on my back to cock without a crank so I traded it for a 330.
    I sold the 150# Vixen to a woman that wanted to shoot crossbow with her husband. And I now have a Matrix 310 and 330. The 310 is a pleasure to target shoot all afternoon and is big enough to take down our North American whitetail. (I have had my crossbows almost 3 years now and have harvested 2 with the 310. I will be using the 330 for hunting from now on since it has just a little more "Zip" than the 310. I think the 310 and 330 are two of the best all around crossbows ever made.... easy to cock and maintain, and you never hear of either of them having issues. If you hunt wide open country instead of the woods like I do, then you might want to go with the 355, 380, or the Bulldog 400. But to shoot those ones all afternoon target practicing I would suggest getting a C2 crank. As stated - you can pick up a good used Excalibur for a reasonable price if you cannot afford a new one. Even the older Excaliburs are deadly accurate if you don't mind a little wider limbs. A used Vixen II or an Exocet are good options. If you want narrower limbs, then find yourself a good used Matrix 330 Excalibur has a lifetime warranty on everything except the strings for original owners.
    Matrix 310/330 (Snuffy II) 18" executioners ~ ADF ~ Cheek piece ~ ShadowZone
    Tombstone case ~ 36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
    Strings by 8ptbuk ~ Boo ~ Cal
    Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Thanks for the advice..All of my hunting is
    in the woods.So not too many shots are very far.
    No archery shops close by here. But I will be checking
    into a bow. The season will be here in no time..

I'm going to recommend Parker X bows to you, US made and lifetime warrantee.
    Price range from $300 to $1500 depending on model and accessories.
    I have the lowest priced model the "Bushwacker" that after adding some necessities still came in at less than $500.
    Past Master; Dryden #472

Parker Bushwhacker.
    1.5" 3 blade Rage Slip Cam heads.
    20" Carbon Express Bolts.

Spammers are dealt with harshly!!

I think Parker have a crossbow that loads by a touch of a button,has a inbuilt crank powered by a gas bottle in the stock if I remember correctly

Yes they do, called "Thunder Hawk" I think.
    Past Master; Dryden #472

Parker Bushwhacker.
    1.5" 3 blade Rage Slip Cam heads.
    20" Carbon Express Bolts.

Spammers are dealt with harshly!!

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip slayer View Post
    I think Parker have a crossbow that loads by a touch of a button,has a inbuilt crank powered by a gas bottle in the stock if I remember correctly
    Doesn't sound good to me.

I like my recurves...
    Been in love with them since the day I shot my first one. I just enjoy only having the string to replace and keep tuned, and I can change my string in under 2 minutes. I will keep the wheels for my truck and motorcycle. The last one I had with wheels needed them replaced every 3 - 4 years... but I do a lot of target shooting.
    Matrix 310/330 (Snuffy II) 18" executioners ~ ADF ~ Cheek piece ~ ShadowZone
    Tombstone case ~ 36" All Weather Tactical Case. Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver
    Strings by 8ptbuk ~ Boo ~ Cal
    Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by 2frogs View Post
    Doesn't sound good to me.
    Not my thing as well,but interesting invention,I suppose a disabled crossbower who can't even use a crank,might find a use for it,I can draw my equinox 225lb Excalibur back by hand with gloves on,if I had to but all ways usually use the rope to load for even draw,and of course it's Easyer!

+ Reply to Thread