Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: what crossbow should I buy? Hori-zone Penetrator or the Mankung 380?

Default what crossbow should I buy? Hori-zone Penetrator or the Mankung 380?

I've been looking to buy a crossbow for sometime now and I am stuck between two crossbows, the hori-zone penetrator and the MK-380. What should I get?
    I've researched both to an extent and I can't make up my mind - the hori-zone is lighter, smaller, apparently a better build quality but I've heard that the MK-380 is also of a very good build quality but is bigger and heavier, higher fps, comes with string dampeners fitted and some accessories (sling and rail lubricant. I've also heard that the MK-380 is just a copy of the velocity archery raven, however it's stated on bladesandbows.co.uk that Mankung manufacture the same crossbow for velocity archery.
    The MK-380 does look more sturdy than the Hori-zone from the photographs I've seen - but i've never seen either in person.

any help making up my mind would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Best advice I can give is, if it's possible, shoot them both and then decide.
    Jack ><>
    "I was crossbow when crossbow wasn't cool"
    Excalibur Micro 335 camo + TTss "Baby Huey"
    Excalibur Micro 355 camo + TTss "Big Huey"
    Man Kung MK-150A3B + AMS jug reel forcefeeder
    XX75 2219 Death Darts, flat nocks, and Flemish strings. Recurves Rock!

Hi thank you very much I'll see if I can give either a try out

Welcome to the forum Kieran.

You buy what feels best in your hands and against your shoulder. It's going to spend a lot of time in both places.
    Joe T.
    Matrix 330
    MK150 (some mods)
    Chace-Star 225
    Jaguar 175
    Matrix Arrows: 15" Easton 2219 Legacy shafts, 3" Fusion Vanes 2" Rage 2 blade heads.
    True-Flite gold Stalkers w/125 gr. Rage 2" Slip-Cams on Chace
    "home-brew" 2219 shafts w/125 gr 1.5"Slip-Cams on MK & Jag

Having chance to inspect a few hori-zones today this is my initial impressions compared to the higher end MK`s / poelang and a few lower end things.

First thoughts on the compounds (penetrator and stealth)
    Both look nice bows. Personally not super keen on the camo stickers on the penetrator but a bit of picking and glue removal and it will be a nice looking bow. The stealth has a decent camo dip .

Risers are cast ally and very light weight . Compared with Mk 350-400 and PL Titans the risers on the Hori-zone look a lot cheaper as they are cast and painted rather than cnc and anodised.
    Stocks feel decent enough quality but not as nice as ether better MK`s or the higher end poelang stuff (titan etc) .
    The action and scope rail do not look as well finished on the hori-zone bows as they are all painted rather than anodised so while they look fine they just don`t look as refined.

I`d say Hori-zone quality is more like the mk-250 and abs PL Jaguars but obviously you get a decent bit more power from the hori-zone bows.

I have not had chance to shoot any Hori-zones yet but I doubt performance will be any issue .not seen any moans from owners who have bought under the sa sports branded ones and there must be plenty floating about .

The way I would choose between a hori-zone compound and an MK 380 etc would come down to which is the most important aspect. Weight or build quality.
    For weight the hori-zone is a clear winner for build quality and finish the MK`s or Titans have them beaten by a decent margin. But you pay for that with more weight.

Rage vs poelang jaguar

Build quality looks fairly equal and they are both quite closely priced so its pretty much a draw in that respect.
    As a kit the Rage comes with a scope where the jaguar comes with a red dot . Only you can choose which wins as they both have + and - depending on your tastes . For me its slightly irrelevant as I generally bin the package scope in favour of something better( that goes with any package scope as they are generally mediocre but up to their purpose)

Size. The Rage is a clear winner . Its tiny .
    Weight. Not a deal in it but being shorter the Hori-zone feels better balanced so it wins again

Re stringing. The rage while you probably could struggle to diy swap a string with 2 people (maybe) it really looks like a bow press job . The jaguar is fairly straight forward to hand string so that has to win this one.

A plus side to the rage is the limb can be mounted to the bow while its strung so thats a real bonus if you want to break it down for transport .

If your split between a rage and a jaguar your only question must be do I have a bow press ? If the answer is yes I would go with the Hori-zone as it feels like a dinky little toy .

When I get enough time I will try and shoot both the stealth and the rage (not so much interested in the penetrator)
    Out of all of them I will be adding a rage to my collection . I have quite a few compound bows (mk-250, mk-350, titan, and Barnett vengeance) If I was to chose another compound I would go with the mk-400 over a hori-zone as its better made and looks (to me) much nicer with the Barret 50 cal style but as performance differences between the 400 and my titan is miniscule I`ll probably not bother with any new compound unless I kill one.

Hope thats of some use to Kieran and any one else not knowing which way to go.
    When I get a proper play with a rage I will pull the action out and have a look at the trigger to see how it compares to it`s competition.

I'm a beginner to intermediate hunter whose Horton HD was stolen a few years back. I am now ready to get back in, and I am hemming and hawing between the Quad s for $320 and the Black Raptor FX2 Deluxe Package for $290. It seems like the main differences are that the Raptor is a little smaller and lighter, easier to maneuvre in brush, but it shoots slower by 20 fps, which I think makes the Quad more accurate at distances. Do I have it about right? I don't have access to a place to get my hands on these bows, so I am going to buy sight unseen online. I would go with the Raptor without question, expect that slower FPS gives me pause. Any suggestions on this?

Hi,20fps isn't to much of a difference .
    I guess the arrow weight is 425gr.
    I assume you've read as many reviews of them both to see what ones the most reliable or if they have had eney issues.it's better to handle xbows first of course.but I never did before I got all mine.a shorter one you can maybe add a but stock extender if bit to short.
    Not good ya got your last one stolen!

Yeah it's a bummer. I don't think the shorter bow is a disadvantage. I figure it would be more maneuverable in heavy brush. You don't think the difference between 320fps and 340fps will be noticeable in accuracy for 50 yard shots?

Accuracy will be the same with both xbows if there both dialed in right,
    The 20fps slower one ,will have a bit more of a arrow drop at 50 meters then the faster one but not much
    I like faster xbows because they become slower then the advertising speed because I use heavier arrows,my 415fps xbow I use for large game and has 800+gr arrows that is shooting in the lower three hundreds.
    Haven't been large game hunting for a while now tho!
    Last edited by bunyip slayer; 11-13-2017 at 01:26 AM.

The 20fps difference will be negligible over short distances.
    You will still get "pass through" shots even at 40+yds.
    Your only noticeable difference will be more drop over that distance.
    Past Master; Dryden #472

Parker Bushwhacker.
    1.5" 3 blade Rage Slip Cam heads.
    20" Carbon Express Bolts.

Spammers are dealt with harshly!!

+ Reply to Thread