Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New UK Member - Help!

Talking

Some thoughts for you, i used to shoot competition 15 years ago in GNAS/FITA target and NFAS field archery.

Already stated, Archery GB (what was GNAS) don't like x-bow although they have a class for it, this is mostly down to people wanting to use hunting compounds and the local clubs don't want anything to do with them. Power output and all round bad rep of x-bows. At basic club level hardly any clubs have any clue as to the actual output of a x-bow or that you put a low power prod on for indoor shooting.

Target x-bow is centered around the midlands (Birmingham area) very few clubs outside that area will allow it.

NFAS have increased the power output to a flat level of 300fps max arrow speed, however only recurves can be used and no cocking aids, as the NFAS forum is closed (members only) it's hard to chat with anyone.

Avoid x-bow on UK target forums, you will most likely get flamed.

Never ever EVER mention hunting with a x-bow on any UK based archery forum YOU WILL GET FLAMED.
    There is a dedicated UK society for hunting with an open forum and it's members hunt around the world, and organise training for permits.

The club near Scunthorpe allows x-bows, photo's on the website of them in use, they will have to comply with competiton rules though.

A lot of field archery clubs are bound over by the landowners, so they can not allow x-bows on site, or risk losing the site. My last club was like this, i had great trouble getting set up, but once the sight marks where dialled in i could go to open shoots that allowed x-bows.

Since i last did it, a lot has changed, there is more open access (yes really) and some odd changes to bow spec, but power is a flat level any competing bow class of 300fps max, x-bows are now allowed to use optic sights as well in NFAS.

I have the same problem again, trying to find a club, so i can get signed off as fit to shoot and allowed to open shoots.

Oh did i mention don't mention anything about hunting, and really don't turn up in camo gear to anything target or field club on your first vist some clubs really don't like that...
    Last edited by Hardy Kruger; 06-02-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Horton Safari Magnum.
    XX75 13.5"-14.5" 100-125g combo points
    Target-3d shooting.........Pending member to a Magic club.....

Correct myself.

The 100yardFAC (field archery club) near Scunthorpe has changed it's website and most of the photo's have gone.

I am sure i saw photos of crossbow in action there and had earmarked it as a possible venue for myself, but decided to wait as i move to Kent soon and have a club nearby when i move.

It would be worth doing a taster session for archery and gently asking about crossbow with them.
    However if there has been an issue on site with crossbow user's (it's a small lesiure park) then the park owners may have stopped crossbow useage.

Like shooting rifles, if your close by to a range your allright, if not tough luck.
    Due to the way ranges are licenced most will not allow anything other than on their Home Office approval.

For context i took up 10m match airpistol. The club is only licenced for .22 rimfire in prone position only at 20m and 50m, it is also cleared for .177 air rifle and pistol at 10m and 20m in the standing or seated position.
    I asked if i could use a .22 air pistol to start with. Nope, must be .177
    As the club is only licenced and insured for this, that is all they will allow. Police approval varies greatly around the UK and some larger clubs/sites or airgun only sites also have archery shooting lanes and a laid back attitude to what can be used, smaller clubs are very tight and comply to the terms of the licence.
    Horton Safari Magnum.
    XX75 13.5"-14.5" 100-125g combo points
    Target-3d shooting.........Pending member to a Magic club.....

It dose not make sence to me.England has a history of crossbow use from hundreds of years ago.thort the clubs over there would be proud to have crossbow shooters.seems unfair.my club here only allows crossbows over 150lb if you supply your own target.this may sound extream,but can a deep long trench 20 meters long be dug in your yard as a shooting range?

Default Butsfield Bowmen

Butsfield Bowmen

Part of NFAS, this club accommodates xbows. I joined recently and they are a friendly bunch. You can turn up at anytime to shoot once you have applied for your NFAS Membership and have been for an assessment.

Have a look at there Facebook Page!

I use a Barnett Panzer5 recurve which shoots at 245fps which is well within the NFAS maximum which is 300fps.

Hope this helps.

Note: AFAIK hunting with crossbows in the UK is illegal. I have a link to a gov website but I haven't posted enough yet.

I shoot at Southsea Archery Club where the owner is an enlightened bloke. I have enquired at the other archery clubs near me & those that bothered to reply came up with some bs excuses. I explained that my xbow was Archery GB compliant & was prepared to buy my own target boss but no dice. Really disappointing but at least I do have 1 friendly club where I can shoot.

Hi, I'm new here and a novice with the crossbow. I thought I'd comment though as our local airgun club was happy for me and my husband to shoot our crossbows there (my husband was already a member and also shoot air pistol and rifle - hft. We provided our own targets boss and they let us have the last lane to use. My husband is using a Chase Wind recurve and my xbow is a barnett rhino classic compound.

It might be worth approaching air gun clubs in your area.

Good luck with your shooting - Most UK target archery clubs either ban ,or do not encourage xbow.
    I have recently had to ask for a valid reason not to be banned from shooting mine. I have been a member at the club for sixteen years,and have shot xbow without incident for the past eighteen months.....the fact you are already established members has probably swung it for you.

Ianc1990
    Whilst I am not in the U.K. itself, I do know that this message is years after and I do not know what has happened in between with your decision on getting a crossbow. First, if you never used a crossbow, a recurve like the Mankung MK 180 would do for target practice and small game hunting. Despite the number in the name, it has a draw weight of 150 lbs in order to pull the string back to cock it for shooting. When it comes to the groups that organise hunting trips on the continent, ask them what kind of game they hunt. If it is mostly small game, then you would be fine to get away with a recurve. But, if it is anything bigger, you could always get a 2nd bow for that purpose, such as a compound.
    As for target practice, the only things I can suggest would be to suss out a farmer who has a property that is accessible and over 10 acres. I do not know what kind of work you do, but you could arrange with said farmer some time of yours for doing chores in return for a small corner of the property that measures about 25 feet by 150 feet. Or else go to the coast and find a spot that is not frequented by people and shoot there. If you do not mind going for a swim to fetch the bolts/arrows and the target, you can use the North Sea to shoot towards since then you do not have to worry about people coming out from behind the target unexpectedly and getting shot at.

Hi Ianc and folks,

I've had the same thing. Ended up doing a 90 mile round trip to a place in Gloucester that did crossbow nights. Only 4 guys there.

But, too much travelling. I now shoot at home in a very private space with high walls. The secret is to have a good, deep boss. But, it was still a bit much for the Barnett. So, went to a little crossbow pistol (Redback is good) and that is just right.

How good it would be just to take the Barnett out into the woods! There are plenty of Youtube vids of Americans shooting in public places with cars driving by in the background. Its a different country.

Last thing. I know quite a few folks who have crossbows but don't use them for just the reasons we are talking about. They just give up.

c.

+ Reply to Thread