Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: New UK Member - Help!

Threaded View

Exclamation New UK Member - Help!

Hi Guys,

I'm from York in the UK and I'm thinking about getting into crossbows. I have the finances to purchase a half decent crossbow but I'm a little bit reluctant in spending the money if I don't have anywhere to fire it.

Firstly, does anyone happen to know anywhere in the North Yorkshire area (primarily around York), where I can target practice with a crossbow? I have been on many sites and sent a few emails but they all either cater for 'parties' or they don't allow crossbows on their ranges - If I find somewhere to fire my crossbow that isn't too far away from home (20-30 miles should be fine), then I will certainly be getting one.

Secondly, can anyone recommend a decent crossbow for around the 200 mark? It will be my first, but I don't want to have to replace it in a couple of months down the line because its not decent enough. If I need to spend more to get something half decent, then do let me know

I was thinking about something like a Cougar 175lb Quad Limb Compound.

I would like it to be powerful enough for hunting, as I have seen other members trying to organise hunting trips on the site to other European countries, and I would like to join in a few months time once my aiming is back in shape and I master a crossbow.

Welcome Ianc1990, if you're interested in getting into shooting crossbows you could try looking at the British Crossbow Federation or at National Field Archery Society both of these organizations cater for crossbows albeit within strict equipment specs. Compound crossbows are a real no no, as far as I know there are no archery organizations that recognize compounds although gun clubs may allow you to shoot if you are a member.

Hi Bundubasher, Is there any chance you can send me some links to these organisations? I have searched the names but many results appear with similar names.

What's the general consensus on types of crossbow? I was hoping to get a compound crossbow due to the lower draw rate but higher bolt speed. Also, are there any national lists of gun clubs? Cant for the life of me find anything on google!

Thanks for your reply.

You don't say if you are already an archer with other bow types.......Archery GB (GNAS) affiliated clubs have a general dislike of crossbow,even though GNAS rules allow hand cocked xbow up to 90lbs draw weight.
    Most UK GNAS afiliated clubs will not allow xbow,mainly due to their worry about target damage,with bolts impacting in a small area on straw bosses.

If you prefer field shooting ,the NFAS (www.nfas.net/clubs.asp) has a more relaxed approach to xbow,but you would need to attend a club,do a course and show safety and competence ,before they allow you to join a local club.
    You need to be over 18yrs of age in the UK to buy one,and be supervised by someone over 21 yrs old......

Thanks for the reply Rog.

No I'm not an archer myself and as you say, it seems that most archery clubs wont allow it. I haven't managed to find anywhere remotely close to where I live that will allow one so it looks like I wont be getting one after all

Don't mind attending a club and doing a course - I'm sure it will prove useful, mainly for safety reasons as I am new to the whole thing so it cannot hurt to learn a few safety techniques.

Thank you for the NFAS site - for some reason it wasn't working the last couple of days. I had a look on there and contacted every club within 70 miles of my house but none of them allow crossbows

It looks like a type of sport that everyone is trying to filter out of society

Crossbow in the UK gets a lot of bad press,with people shooting wildlife,and shooting in the back garden -with bad consequences.

Crossbow is a powerfull weapon over short distance,and many do not give it proper regard for their own safety and that of others.There is a lot of ignorance amongst archery clubs over crossbow.I have shot a recurve for many years,and my club has turned a blind eye to my using crossbow for target shooting- because I am a Coach,and the bow is low power. I shoot at 18-25 metres,and shoot World Archery Indoor Rounds.....outside.

Your other remaining route is to shoot indoor with air rifle users -contact National Small Bore Rifle Assn
    (www.nsra.co.uk) - if you can stand the noise!!. Use Home drop down box on their website -there is a club in York......
    Last edited by Rog2014; 05-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.

Default Butsfield Bowmen

Butsfield Bowmen

Part of NFAS, this club accommodates xbows. I joined recently and they are a friendly bunch. You can turn up at anytime to shoot once you have applied for your NFAS Membership and have been for an assessment.

Have a look at there Facebook Page!

I use a Barnett Panzer5 recurve which shoots at 245fps which is well within the NFAS maximum which is 300fps.

Hope this helps.

Note: AFAIK hunting with crossbows in the UK is illegal. I have a link to a gov website but I haven't posted enough yet.

I shoot at Southsea Archery Club where the owner is an enlightened bloke. I have enquired at the other archery clubs near me & those that bothered to reply came up with some bs excuses. I explained that my xbow was Archery GB compliant & was prepared to buy my own target boss but no dice. Really disappointing but at least I do have 1 friendly club where I can shoot.

Hi, I'm new here and a novice with the crossbow. I thought I'd comment though as our local airgun club was happy for me and my husband to shoot our crossbows there (my husband was already a member and also shoot air pistol and rifle - hft. We provided our own targets boss and they let us have the last lane to use. My husband is using a Chase Wind recurve and my xbow is a barnett rhino classic compound.

It might be worth approaching air gun clubs in your area.

Good luck with your shooting - Most UK target archery clubs either ban ,or do not encourage xbow.
    I have recently had to ask for a valid reason not to be banned from shooting mine. I have been a member at the club for sixteen years,and have shot xbow without incident for the past eighteen months.....the fact you are already established members has probably swung it for you.

+ Reply to Thread