Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow uses in Nevada

Default Crossbow uses in Nevada

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance. I'm very excited to join this forum and learn and get more involved with this community.

Here in Northern Nevada, crossbows aren't very popular since they aren't legal to hunt big game with. I love everything about crossbows, but my friends and colleges don't share my enthusiasm and they call them useless. I'd like to know more about other potential legal uses that I can list to these folks to get them on board. Does anyone on this forum live in a state that doesn't allow you to hunt with a crossbow?

Target shooting with a crossbow is loads of fun. Why not buy one for yourself, along with a suitable target, and then invite a few friends over to shoot. I bet you'll convert at least a couple of them when they see what a blast they are to shoot. They may be useless for hunting in your particular location, but that doesn't make them useless for having fun. Also, with the profusion of low cost but decent quality xbows available these days and the reusable nature of arrows, they're far more economical for target shooting than guns are. Not to mention you can't really target shoot with a firearm in your backyard.

edit: Just posted a link in another thread to Barnett's state-by-state laws, and it shows xbows as legal for big game in NV during "any legal weapon" hunts. Not sure exactly what that means, but you might look into it further.
    Last edited by XbowX; 09-06-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: additional info
    Scott

Thanks Scott!

That is a great idea to convert some of the haters here. I think I might arrange a little shooting range get together then bring out the crossbow to let everyone try it. I have a cheap Jaguar 175 lb xbow that I purchased from Big 5, and I think it will be enough to peak their interest. I am hoping to get a Horton Fury before winter rolls around and I think that will change some minds.

My intel on the Nevada state hunting laws could definitely be flawed. I have a buddy that's been hunting Northern Nevada for over 20 years and he told me that crossbows couldn't be used during archery hunting season. I never thought about any legal weapon hunts. That really changes my argument if true, because that gives the xbow a practical use here. Thanks again for the info Scott!

Welcome to the forum matts2bad!

Crossbows are legal for a variety of game in AZ. might be worth the drive. Check out this link, and scroll sow to about page 108.

http://www.azgfd.gov/regs/mainregs.pdf
    Last edited by Joe T.; 09-08-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    Joe T. MK150 (some mods)
    Chace-Star 225
    Jaguar 175
    True-Flite gold Stalkers w/125 gr. Rage 2" Slip-Cams on Chace
    "home-brew" 2219 shafts w/125 gr 1.5"Slip-Cams on MK & Jag

That's not a bad idea. As a resident of AZ I should have thought of it myself.
    Scott

Might want to reconsider getting the Horton since they went under. No warranty and parts will be hard to find.
    Excalibur Axiom
    20" Excalibur Firebolts with Lumenoks
    125gr Grim Reaper broadheads

As Boonedocksbear mentioned, sounds like Ten Point might be a better bet than a Horton right now.

Tenpoint buys Horton's Assets; won't service Horton's equipment

I had no idea that Horton went under! That definitely changes my choice. Do you guys find any common drawbacks to the inverted draw bows like the Fury and the Scorpyds?

Quote Originally Posted by matts2bad View Post
    I had no idea that Horton went under! That definitely changes my choice. Do you guys find any common drawbacks to the inverted draw bows like the Fury and the Scorpyds?
    I just realized that this has probably been talked about in previous threads, I will search first and ask questions later lol.

No worries. It's hard to search everything that could possibly come across. Different reverse draws have had different issues. Barnett's have had some issues with the string cocking sled scuffing the rail. A few of the newer high powered Scorypd's have had some limb issues. That being said, every crossbow has a chance of having issues, and there are no definite "avoid this bow" issues that I know of. There are a good number of bonuses to the RDT style too. Less poundage for equivalent power due to longer power strokes. Also, they tend to be a little bit quieter than normal xbows. If I had the spare cash right now, I would invest in a Scorpyd Telson. It's the first bow they came out with, has several different limb weights, max being 130lbs. Its probably the quietest crossbow I've ever seen, and even with the 130 lb draw weight, its putting 400 grain arrows out at around 375fps. That's smokin.
    Excalibur Axiom
    20" Excalibur Firebolts with Lumenoks
    125gr Grim Reaper broadheads

+ Reply to Thread