Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do i find out what size string i need?

Default How do i find out what size string i need?

Hello, just wondering how i would find out what size string i need for my cheapo crossbow.
    string snapped and i want to make sure i get the right one, should i just measure from tip to tip?
    any help would be great!

It would help to know what kind of "cheapo" crossbow you have... Most of the "cheap" 120 to 175 lb. recurve crossbows use a 26 to 27 inch string. If you have an MK or similar "clone", the crossbow store (a sponsor of this forum) sells them for a very reasonable price. When strung, it should give you a brace height of 3 to 3 1/2 inches. If the prod uses replaceable tips, they should be replaced at the same time, and are usually available in "kit" form. A package contains 2 tips and string. Don't forget to wax the crap out of it.

I generally buy more expensive, higher quality strings, and got over 1100 shots out of one before the serving needed work.
    Joe T. MK150 (some mods)
    Chace-Star 225
    Jaguar 175
    True-Flite gold Stalkers w/125 gr. Rage 2" Slip-Cams on Chace
    "home-brew" 2219 shafts w/125 gr 1.5"Slip-Cams on MK & Jag

My cheapo (Man Kung) came with a 26.75" string from the factory for its 27" prod, but I found I needed to twist it a ridiculous number of times to get a decent brace height (which still wasn't quite where I wanted it, but was serviceable), so I now order custom 26" strings from a certain well known auction site. I put one on and after it stretches a bit (B50), it gives me the perfect brace height without having to twist it till it looks like a barber pole. The center serving on the factory string also started to go after about a dozen and a half shots. Not so with these higher quality strings. The custom ones cost me 2-3X more than the factory ones, but they are so worth it.
    Scott

@ XbowX,

If you noticed the last line of my post above, I generally buy better strings for my hunting bows. Yeah, the "factory" MK strings need 13 to 17 twists to brace up to 3 1/2". If you can find them, Bear Archery put out a decent 26" string which goes for 10 to 11 bucks... Still, I could buy 3 of them for what I paid for the custom one with 1100 shots on it. That string is "in storage awaiting repair." (Noteworthy that the center serving is merely beginning to "stretch out" away from the rail. The damage is from the cocking rope, not the rail. It still has not worn through or unraveled. The actual "string" portion is still untouched.)

Newtothegame stated that his string "broke"... No mention of serving wear, and my imagination tells me it was either due to a misfire or dry fire. If my assumption is accurate, he needs new tips, too. The easiest way to get it all is a "kit". As he gains experience, he'll learn what games he can or cannot play with his equipment.

That being said, I just ordered 2 MK string kits from the Crossbow Store for the 120s the grandchildren use... I see no sense in putting a $35.00 string on a $65.00 bow for an 8 year old to drag around the yard... So the cheap strings still have a place in my life... And it looks like I'll be buying another 4 120 prods in the near future... I need to build a string jig! ;-}
    Last edited by Joe T.; 08-21-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    Joe T. MK150 (some mods)
    Chace-Star 225
    Jaguar 175
    True-Flite gold Stalkers w/125 gr. Rage 2" Slip-Cams on Chace
    "home-brew" 2219 shafts w/125 gr 1.5"Slip-Cams on MK & Jag

i use the Poe Lang, Jaguar or Armex strings @ 26.5" & put 4 turns on them. You will find these have decent serving & also on the loops. Far better quality.

Default cool

Thanks for the website lots of good stuff I might have to oredr some more toys from there

I had a no name recurve but I got rid of it after avfew people told me some of some problems with it.

I now have a carbon express x-force 350 and the guys at my local gun shop are going to restring it for me if it breaks in the first year so hopefully my string snapping days are behind me for a while lol

Thabks for all of the help though

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    That being said, I just ordered 2 MK string kits from the Crossbow Store for the 120s the grandchildren use... I see no sense in putting a $35.00 string on a $65.00 bow for an 8 year old to drag around the yard...
    Haha. Great point. I still buy the MK string kits, as well, primarily for the end caps that come with them. Probably just as cost effective as trying to order them separately. It also leaves me with some spare strings for "emergency" purposes.
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread