Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow range

Default Crossbow range

Hi guys, i'm new here and new to crossbows!

I'm an experienced target archer with recurve bows so I thought i'd try out a crossbow.

I picked up an Armex Jaguar 175lb model cheaply ($150)

I know these probably aren't great quality but its just to shoot targets, we don't hunt here in the UK.

Anyway, my question.....

I have a nice large open area where i practice, its basically a large field, which slowly rises behind the targets out to a distance of well over 1000 yards.

yesterday I took the crossbow along with me for its first outing, it came with some cheap aluminium 100 gn 17" bolts with target heads.

it hadn't been sighted in etc so just out of interest I aimed up the range at roughly a 30 degree angle and let loose.

Despite it being a bright sunny evening I lost sight of the bolt as it disappeared into the distance (easily past my 100 yard marker)

I despatched another bolt with the same result, lost sight of it in mid flight.

Definitely surprised me as to the power and distance, i expected the bolts to drop within 100 yards.

so I set off up the field to look for them but never found them. (only did a couple of sweeps) grass is quite short so they may well be fairly well underground if my bow arrows are anything to go by.

What sort of maximum range do these things have? all i can find online are hunting ranges (40 yards)

Should i be looking over 200 yards for these bolts?
    Last edited by ThinIce; 06-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Sorry not Apex, its Armex (i love spell checkers!)

its a recurve crossbow, 245 fps

TI, I can't follow the arrows either, so can only offer a guess that at 30 degrees I would start at 400M and work back to where you left off looking before. I would not be surprised if they were between 300 and 400M, and possibly further.
    Jack ><>
    What was William Tellís foc, fps, KE, dtt, momentum, db noise level, arrow material, spine, grain weight, fletching, nock, and point style when he had to make his first shot count?

Middleton DTM 375 SS
    Man Kung 300fps Frankenbow
    Man Kung MK-150A3B forcefeeder
    Wham-O Powermaster [retired]
    Jack Pine Death Dart Arrows, Bionic Bowstrings, and Backwoods Bipod

Thats quite worrying

I definitely underestimated the power of these things.

Will have a good long look tonight and see if they turn up.

Cheers Jack

Quote Originally Posted by ThinIce View Post
    Thats quite worrying

I definitely underestimated the power of these things.

Cheers Jack
    Yah, most people underestimate their power, due to the price, most people consider them to be a "nerf" crossbow, which they most definitely are not.
    Jack ><>
    What was William Tellís foc, fps, KE, dtt, momentum, db noise level, arrow material, spine, grain weight, fletching, nock, and point style when he had to make his first shot count?

Middleton DTM 375 SS
    Man Kung 300fps Frankenbow
    Man Kung MK-150A3B forcefeeder
    Wham-O Powermaster [retired]
    Jack Pine Death Dart Arrows, Bionic Bowstrings, and Backwoods Bipod

I wasn't quite that bad, i still expected it do serious damage at 100 yards but when it flew clear over the 100 yard marker with very little drop I did let out some bad language!

30į with my 150# bow will shoot over 500 yds. (425 gr arrows)
    Start around 300 out and keep looking out from there.
    Worshipful Master; Dryden #472

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Parker Bushwhacker.
    1.5" 3 blade Rage Slip Cam heads.
    20" Carbon Express Bolts.

Spammers are dealt with harshly!!

Just a idea I have used a medal detector to find lost arrows.

Cheers drop zone, I actually have one that I use for the bow arrows, sometimes its the only way to find them!

Found both of them last night, pretty easy when you're looking in the right place!

without measuring it, i reckon they were around the 270 yard mark, having hit the ground still at quite a flat trajectory and sticking in to within a couple of inches of the fletchings.

Having looked at it again I reckon I was probably under 30 degrees when shooting and also shooting up the hill so with a bit higher angle on flatter ground and i'd easily hit 300 yards

Cheers again for the help guys!

+ Reply to Thread