Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: setting red dot

Default setting red dot

If my Horton 3 dot is shooting high, do I adjust the elevation toward the high setting or the low setting?

move your sight down bgorman. if you are hitting high, take the cover off the adjustment and turn it toward down. if you are hitting to the right turn it toward left. it will have a little arrow on there to show you the way.

Default more adjustment

If for some reason you have adjusted all the way you may have to shim the mounts at some time. I have never done this but heard it works where more adjustment is needed. Hunter2

"If for some reason you have adjusted all the way you may have to shim the mounts at some time."

Tricks I've learned from my gunsmithing hobby.

Ideally, the reticule settings should be (relatively) in the middle to turret's adjustment range after sighted in; esp with a scope that has a crosshair reticule. Using the center of the lense gives the clearest image and reduces parallax. If your bow (or gun) is shooting high but can't get any more adjustment downwards, shim between ths scope and bottom of the FRONT ring. Usually does not take much; I use a piece of aluminum beverage can slightly narrower than the bottom half of ring (so it doesn't show). This causes the scope to point higher, as a result lowers the point of impact.
    Side to side adjustment is a bit trickier, since it's harder to shim the sides of a ring. I use windage adjustable rings for that. For crossbow with a Weaver or Picatinny rail, such rings made by Millet work well.
    Last edited by Cossack; 08-16-2009 at 10:49 PM.

thanks for that bit of info guys. i did not know that. presently i don't have a problem with it but it is good to know. cossack, i hope you hang around awhile, it seems you have had a lot of experience with such things. that will be very helpful to the guys new to crossbows. and helpful to some not so new.

+ Reply to Thread