Advertise With Us
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new here and new to crossbows

Question new here and new to crossbows

Hello to all. I am new to crossbows I just got my first on on friday, my father-in-law bought me a brand new barnett penetrator. Crossbow is great, but I am having problems getting it sighted in after 30yds. It came with the barnett scope has 5 lines. should be 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 right. Well I am fine at 20 and 30 but at 40 I am 6" high and 50 is way over the target. The instructions that came with the scope has some screwy yardage ranges, just wondering if i am the only one haveing problems with it or if i am doing something wrong.

jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdmcx View Post
    Hello to all. I am new to crossbows I just got my first on on friday, my father-in-law bought me a brand new barnett penetrator. Crossbow is great, but I am having problems getting it sighted in after 30yds. It came with the barnett scope has 5 lines. should be 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 right. Well I am fine at 20 and 30 but at 40 I am 6" high and 50 is way over the target. The instructions that came with the scope has some screwy yardage ranges, just wondering if i am the only one haveing problems with it or if i am doing something wrong.

jason.
    Jason, welcome to Crossbow Forum. As nice as it would be to have your scope at exact 10 yard intervals, it doesn't always happen. Different arrow weights, draw weights, etc, make it difficult for one scope to work for everyone. I wouldn't worry about it, what you need to do is determine exactly where your 4th and 5th crosshair hit bullseye and remember that. For example, your 4th crosshair might be zeroed at 47 yards and your 5th might be 61. No big deal as long as you know that, and if you use a rangefinder [I don't] it will be no problem to determine your shot. If you don't use a rangefinder, count the number of paces, and when you go to a new area to hunt, pace off your distances; I mark my yardages with flourescent tape since I'm lousy at guestimating yardage. Rare are the deer that come in at exact 10 yard intervals anyway unless you place your bait block at a certain known distance. As an alternative to this, there is a device called an HHA Optimizer [I hope I'm telling you the right name] that you can put on your sight bridge, then mount your scope on the device. If you know the speed of your bow [your dealer might have a chrono if you don't], they have calibration tapes for different speeds they put on the device so that your 10 yard intervals are right down the line. I've heard a lot of good reports on the device, but you still have to know what distance your target [deer] is for this to be effective. For me, it's just easier to know where my scope is zeroed for every crosshair; it doesn't have to be at exact 10 yard intervals. Hope this helps ya out bud.

Jack ><>
    I am a treehugger when my platform slips, and a proud member of PETA .... People Eating Tasty Animals.

+ Reply to Thread