Advertise With Us
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crossbow for hunting ( mainly boar ) to beginner

Default Crossbow for hunting ( mainly boar ) to beginner

Hello
    Im new in crossbow world. And this is only forum where i found lot of good information about crossbows. But now im stuck and need your help and adivice.

Im looking crossbow mainly for wild boar hunting. Distance around 30 metres. i have no experience with crossbows.

Right now i have narrowed my choice to Barnett ghost 400 and Excalibur Equinox.
    What to think about these two crossbows? Or is there better choice around same budget?

I have also looked Tenpoint stealt xlt, but it is little bit too expensive. but if this is the best choice, then buyable.

So what do people think, who has much more experience with crossbows?
    All thoughts, advises are welcome.

And for buying i think i will go with ebay.

Sry about my english. I have learned it, so there can be many mistakes.

Madis

Quote Originally Posted by freelander View Post
    Hello
    Im new in crossbow world. And this is only forum where i found lot of good information about crossbows. But now im stuck and need your help and adivice.

Im looking crossbow mainly for wild boar hunting. Distance around 30 metres. i have no experience with crossbows.

Right now i have narrowed my choice to Barnett ghost 400 and Excalibur Equinox.
    What to think about these two crossbows? Or is there better choice around same budget?

I have also looked Tenpoint stealt xlt, but it is little bit too expensive. but if this is the best choice, then buyable.

So what do people think, who has much more experience with crossbows?
    All thoughts, advises are welcome.

And for buying i think i will go with ebay.

Sry about my english. I have learned it, so there can be many mistakes.

Madis
    Freelander, welcome to Crossbow Forum; your English is fine. But don't let us pick your crossbow for you, go to a store where you can try them out and make your own decision, you are the one who will be shooting it. If I could offer you just a little advice, don't buy your crossbow on ebay. How will that vendor help you if you have a problem? How will you know if it's too long, short, heavy, or too wide? Once you buy it off ebay, they MIGHT give you a refund, but in most cases you will have to pay return shipping. You won't really save anything by not buying local. If there are no stores in your area, then that's another thing. I have a motto: "Buy it where you try it", at least whenever you can. Good luck to you my friend, let us know what you end up with.

Jack ><>
    I am a treehugger when my platform slips, and a proud member of PETA .... People Eating Tasty Animals.

Freelander, welcome to the site. I agree with Jack, don't know where your from but if you can go to an archery store to check out some xbows, that's you best bet. Then if you want to buy from eBay you'll atlease know which xbow you want to buy.
    Horton legacy 225, matched carbon strike, Excalibur 150g boltcutter broadheads

near to where i live, i dont have any good archery stores. If i want goos bows to try i have to drive over 700km.
    Maybe the ebay isnt best choice. But this is sure i will order it from U.S.A., because the price difference is very big. The same money i pay here for tenpoint tital TL 7 i can get from usa Tenpoint stealth xlt(shipping included).

I understand that i dont know size and how thi bow suits me. But lets make so that this is the last thing for me right now.
    Mainly im waiting opinions about reliablity, performance, kill distance for boar ( 30-40).

If we take this ghost 400, this is much faster but drawweight is smaller. Excalibur is slower but drawweight much bigger?

near to where i live, i dont have any good archery stores. If i want goos bows to try i have to drive over 700km.
    Maybe the ebay isnt best choice. But this is sure i will order it from U.S.A., because the price difference is very big. The same money i pay here for tenpoint tital TL 7 i can get from usa Tenpoint stealth xlt(shipping included).

I understand that i dont know size and how thi bow suits me. But lets make so that this is the last thing for me right now.
    Mainly im waiting opinions about reliablity, performance, kill distance for boar ( 30-40).
    If we take this ghost 400, this is much faster but drawweight is smaller. Excalibur is slower but drawweight much bigger?
    Freelander, if I were in your situation and between the 2 choices you have already made, I would choose the Excalibur, but keep in mind this is only my opinion, your opinion is what counts.
    Jack ><>
    I am a treehugger when my platform slips, and a proud member of PETA .... People Eating Tasty Animals.

Right now yes, these are two crossbows i have been watching most.
    But why wold you choose excalibur?
    Which is more imrpotant.. speed or drawweight?
    Both these crossbows are capable of killing wild hog at distance 30-40 metres?
    Which arrows and heads i should use?

Im asking these questions so i would not buy wrong performance crossbow. And putting together package for wild hog hunting.
    All reccomendations are welcome!

Right now yes, these are two crossbows i have been watching most.

Im asking these questions so i would not buy wrong performance crossbow. And putting together package for wild hog hunting.
    All reccomendations are welcome!
    Madis, I don't own either one of these crossbows right now, but I will give you an opinion for what it's worth, maybe the owners of these crossbows will post and give you much better information than I can.

If I understand you correctly, you live a long distance from an archery store. That sounds like you are not located in the US. If I lived in your situation, I would buy the Excalibur for several reasons. #1. You can change the string without special equipment as it is a simple recurve, [be sure to buy an extra string if this is the bow you buy] while most compound-type crossbows need a bow press to do this. #2. I don't know of anyone who has a better reputation for trouble-free use than Excalibur. This will matter to you because if you live outside the US and a long distance from an archery shop, how will you get repairs if needed? You would probably have to send it to a US repair or warranty facility, leaving you without your bow for quite a while. Compound bows [like the Barnett] have more parts. Increase the number of parts and you increase the liklihood of potential problems. Many crossbows on the market will kill hogs at 30 - 40 meters, [closer is always better] so IN MY OPINION reliability and the potential lack or availability of service and repair in your situation FOR ME would tip the scales in favor of Excalibur by a big margin. The fastest bow in the world isn't going to do you a single bit of good if it's in the shop.

Sometimes we focus on the hole instead of the donut. IN MY OPINION neither is as big a factor as reliability and accuracy. IN MY OPINION any crossbow that sends a hunting-weight arrow at speeds over 260 fps will do the job for you. There are many crossbows that will do that. As for draw weight, most have crank-type cocking devices available, or you can use a rope cocker that reduces the cocking draw weight by half, so draw weight isn't really a factor in cocking. Sometimes higher draw weigh can mean greater speed, but not always, so to keep from going into long detail that will seem like splitting hairs, I'll leave it at that.

Yes, as I mentioned, many crossbows on the market will do the job.

Most manufacturers have recommendations for their crossbows, it's best to follow their recommendations. They have put a tremendous amount of hours into testing what works best with their equipment and know what works. What I think really doesn't compare to what they already know about their equipment.

I don't like making recommendations on crossbow equipment. I have owned a Barnett crossbow and intend to own either a Middleton or Excalibur, so I'm not bashing Barnett at all. I just think where you have no warranty or repair or parts facility available, that it makes the Excal look like a better choice, at least in this case.

Jack ><>
    Last edited by Jack Pine; 09-22-2011 at 06:00 AM.

Hey freelander!!! I couldnt agree more with jack!!! he is right in his outline in why you should look into purchasing an excalibur crossbow, I personally owned a Excalibur exocet and it has been great.. I can also tell you that I have also used a ghost 400 its also a great crossbow and it looks cool as well but it is true what Jack said the Barnett those carry more parts just because it is a compound bow. I dont take anything away from the Barnett as well they are great crossbows but if you live far from a repair shop it can be time consuming and if no warranty costly. Im not saying to chose excalibur but to instead of looking into preformance you have to take into consideration other factors like in this instance warranty and parts.

Let me know how it goes...!!! best of luck!!!1
    Get your
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    at TheCrossbowStore.com

Free Shipping on orders over $80.00!

thank you jack pine. Very good answer.

Yes that is right, i dont live in US. To send bow to warranty would mean to me 3 weeks shipping + repair time + 3 weeks shipping. And that would not be good for me. i wrote today to barnett and excalibur and asked, where is nearest dealer to me, who can do warranty repairs.

Right now i'm looking more excalibur crossbows and seems that this equinox is the best right now ?

Right now i'm looking more excalibur crossbows and seems that this equinox is the best right now ?
    The choice is yours my friend, stay actively posting on the forum and let us know what you end up with and how you like it and how it performs for you.
    Jack ><>

+ Reply to Thread