Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manual range finder

I'm real old-school...

When I set up a stand (usually well before season), I take 150 feet of rope and 3 colors of surveyor's tape. 30 yards gets marked with green tape, 40 yards with yellow, and 50 yards with red... I repeat this down each of my shooting lanes, and any other odd opening I can see from the stand. If the deer is within range, I have a good idea of the distance. Don't have to mess with range finders... Bottom line on my MK's scope is dead on for elevation at 48 yards... The WIND, I still have to guess. Under 30 yards? I could care less...

An added bonus is that it makes you REALLY survey the entire area around your stand... You just might notice that that little cedar tree just out of sight from your stand has been "rubbed" shoulder-high! That's enough for ME to move a stand!

That is great idea for all the stand hunters but for those of us ground roamers wont do much good!!

I was going to say the same thing but Joe got here faster. Marking range with markers is a great idea.

As for roamers... i would say. Learn to "guess" the range! lol it's the cheapest way. Free actualy.
    Carbon Express Covert SLS
    4x32 Glass-Etched Reticle Lighted Scope
    Maxima Hunter 20" Crossbolts with 2" Rage Chisel tips and green launchpad lighted nocks

Quote Originally Posted by treykelly View Post
    ...a manual range finder for use on a crossbow... ...some one should develop one that will mount on top of the crossbow scope... ...i cant spend $300 on a laser range finder
    Trey, I know you specifically mentioned a MANUAL range finder, but the digital rangefinders have come way down in price, and a usable digital can be had for less than a third of the price you mention. For example, I paid somewhere around $90 for the Simmons I use. Of course you could spend a lot more for a "better" rangefinder, but I've had this one for about 2 years and have had zero issues with it, and it is accurate to within one yard.
    Here's a link to an idea to mounting it to your crossbow. http://www.crossbowpredators.com/thr...aby-huey.1386/
    Jack ><>
    "I was crossbow when crossbow wasn't cool"
    Excalibur Micro 335 camo + TTss "Baby Huey"
    Excalibur Micro 355 camo + TTss "Big Huey"
    Man Kung MK-150A3B + AMS jug reel forcefeeder
    XX75 2219 Death Darts, flat nocks, and Flemish strings. Recurves Rock!

+ Reply to Thread