2 28.57%
  • Dont Work

1 14.29%
  • reduce FPS

1 14.29%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: String Suppressor...Good? Bad?

Default String Suppressor...Good? Bad?

Just got a Parker Tornado and love it but was surprised how loud it was, I know it shoots much faster than compound bows but could it spook a deer before the bolt gets to him? Will the Suppressor change the flight or reduce the FPS?

Adding the string suppressors to your Tornado will not slow it down. The POI on mine is the same with or without them. They do not quiet it down, but do take the vibration out. The shot feels much more solid. They're easy to install, and well worth the money

i have a tacoma and they do help me, i shot without them then with them. the sound is not as loud and much more of a thud now, before it was very noticable.

I wouldn't waste the money. The biggest advantage is to the shooter, in terms of vibration reduction. It won't change what game hears enough to make any difference. String and limb dampers DO cause speed loss, and Parker has quit putting them on their crossbows due to their lack of effectiveness.

From Parker's website.
    Q Have you stopped using string silencers on your crossbows?
    A YES. The reason is that we have long known string silencers and limb savers were ineffective on crossbows (unlike compound bows where they do a tremendous job) because the crossbow limbs and strings are much heavier. The silencing accessories are not big enough to dampen the vibration and noise created by a crossbow. Also, those components were easily damaged and lost. Leeches tore after a low number of shots and limb savers did not stay on the limbs so we had a huge number of warranty issues.

We began using them initially because we installed Sims products on all of our compound bows and still feel that their products are the most effective at dampening noise and vibration for vertical bows. Just not for crossbows.
    Nobody Can Make Me Starve,
    I Know How To Butcher

Roadkill!

Very Helpful Thanks

Parker stopped using leeches and limbsavers because THEY DO cause a loss of speed. Anything applied to the limb and/or string of a crossbow will slow it down. This post is about STRING SUPPRESSORS, which are still put on the Cyclone and offered as an accessory for the Tornado. They are attached to the riser, not the limbs or the string. These simply stop the string AFTER the arrow is launched, and therefore, do not slow the crossbow down or alter the point of impact. I added these to a 2009 Tornado, and it chrono'ed the same after they were installed. Do they quiet the crossbow any....I do not believe so. They absolutely do reduce the vibration after the shot, and make the crossbow a lot more comfortable to shoot. For 60.00, they are worth the money and a piece of cake to install

i agree they are a waste of money and time, use that money to buy you more bolts or broadheads, i bought limbsavers 3374 and put them on the limbs of my jackal, thinking it would lessen the vibration. it did, but not as much as you would think. But the thing i didn't like was without adjusting the sights, the bolts were hitting 2" lower at 20 yards, and would not penetrate as deep in the target as it did without the limbsavers. so i took the limbsavers off then it went back to hitting the bull, and almost a complete pass thru in the Large Black Hole target.

Mike

What the post is about is string suppressors, specifically those offered by Parker. Not Limbsavers, not string leeches. Be clear about what we are giving advice about. As a Tornado owner myself, I can assure you,
    Bulldog44, that these are indeed worth the money and you will not regret the purchase. Take it from a fellow Tornado owner, buy the suppressors.

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question related to the Parker String Suppressor. On my Parker Hornet the suppressor is pushing against the string. It is supposed to be just shy of the string (according to the bow instruction video). So I ground down the ends a little to give me that clearance. I assume this is OK to do?

Just shot it and was dead on at 30 yds so it seems to shoot fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+ Reply to Thread