Advertise Here

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Distance of a Crossbow

Default Distance of a Crossbow

what would yall say the max distance an average shooter with a crossbow be able to make? im just made the move from compound to crossbow. i practiced at 20 yds all the time and usualy in hunting i wouldnt go past 30.

so trying to see if a crossbow would streach the distance at all

It has streched mine from 30 to 45 yards. I made a good clean kill last year at 42 yards. I'm still not comfortable at 50 yards but hope to do a little more long range practice. The Oklahoma wind makes the longer shots hard, plus the added time for the deer to respond to the shot.

thanks buck buster...i didnt think of the string jump on the deer. that would be one thing to consider. and the wind can get pretty nasty in texas also

Depends on the draw strength of the bow, and the skill of the shooter. Most cross bows are a typical of compound bows with a reasonable range out to 70 yds. Most deer are taken in the 40 +- 10 yd range. A responsible archer will only shoot when they know the shot will do the job. Never assume that just because your bow can throw an arrow a football field and a half away does not mean you should be taking shots that far away.

Ethicly, you probably shouldn't take any shot much further than you did before. Ballisticly there's little difference between any same weight arrows moving @ 300fps.

In the last ten years I haven't killed a deer @ over 30yds, which is why I've finally given up gun hunting around here. Out of the last four, the furthest one was as far as 30yds, and the closest was 12ft. This year's first was 13yds.
    Nobody Can Make Me Starve,
    I Know How To Butcher

Roadkill!

+ Reply to Thread