PDA

View Full Version : barnett warranty

oletom
05-07-2009, 10:21 AM
in checking aroun I see barnett has changed their warranty on their xbows.....they now only offer 1 yr warranty.....really think with all the xbows offering llifetime warranty's that barnett is in trouble with only offering a 1yr warranty...changed my mind on buying one..

buck
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
in checking aroun I see barnett has changed their warranty on their xbows.....they now only offer 1 yr warranty.....really think with all the xbows offering llifetime warranty's that barnett is in trouble with only offering a 1yr warranty...changed my mind on buying one..

I agree that does not sound good! There are too many with lifetime warranties to take anything less. Chances are you may never need to use it ,but if you had to pay out of the pocket for repair, I bet they would charge a high dollar even though it might be a quality problem from factory that showed up over a period of time. I think you are making a good choice with looking at another brand.

tennesseeminer
06-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Guys the people at Barnett are super they are fair on their prices and will take care of their customers. I own 3 Barnett bows and take it from me they go out of their way to take care of their customers.:)

copperhead
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
i talked with a barnett rep. and he told me they are considering the concerns of thier customers. he also said that barnett has always stood behind thier products regardless of the warranty period. i bought the barnett predator and so far has been an impressive weapon. if something should happen we will find out if they truly do stand behind thier products. i feel confident there won't be any problems either way.

Hunter2
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Barnett is working on this and their should be something in the near future to make all happy about this matter. They have great service and stand by their products which are at great price points. Hunter2:)

copperhead
06-13-2009, 12:11 AM
if you already own a barnett if they will honor a longer warranty period should this occur.

Hunter2
06-13-2009, 09:48 PM
will make things right. They are a reorganizing company looking to unload bad perception from some bad years. Hunter2

Hunter2
06-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Has anyone had the oppurtunity to contact barnett? What do you think of the service? Hunter2

buck
06-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I have heard alot of good things about barnett and I would not mind owning one. It seems that bow makers are making changes now and I am sure barnett is working to meet the hunters needs. Barnett would probably fix it regardless of warranty. I like a longer warranty,but as long as they will fix it,l still would buy one. I have been looking a their bows online and they look nice,but it is hard to find a dealer to get a hands on look.

Hunter2
06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
you are correct they are trying to get things on track and make the cutomers happy. Hunter2

Quad82
09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
First post. So first-off. Hello. Seems like the makings of a nice place to hang out.
I just picked up a new Barnett revolution on Thursday 2 weeks ago. Shot it 20 or 30 times that Saturday before the riser exploded at 3/4 draw. The riser seperated into 3 main parts like a chicken's wishbone. One limb gouged the left side of the stock and the other limb gouged the right side and broke my right middle finger. Lucky that is all that happened. I was using a string cocker or it would have been worse with my hands down closer. Sent it in to Barnett. One tech said to pull off all my acessories and they would send me a new setup. I called to check the status and another tech said they were going to replace just the riser. I said BS! I will cut my fingers or the string every time I load it. He then said they would replace it all. Kinda blew me off. We will see next week. I was very impressed with the way it shot. Smokes my 10 point.
Today Barnett emailed me saying they would work on it tomorrow. They have had it for 7 days now. What's to work on? It needs replacing! We will see how they do with the warrenty.

Quad82
09-09-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a few more post to go before posting pictures. I will send one of the multi piece riser.

Hunter2
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
I think I saw your pictures on another site. A cast riser can have hidden flaws that cant be detected, the advantage of a cnc so to speak riser. Glad you did not get hurt. Hunter2

Quad82
09-10-2009, 09:32 PM
You are correct. 1 more post and I will get the pictures.

Quad82
09-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Here they are.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/1.jpg

copperhead
09-11-2009, 12:44 AM
now thats what i am talking about. good solid proof of failure. i am humored!

Quad82
09-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Well, I think I am done with Barnett bows. Still waiting to hear back about my Revolutiion that Barnett has had in for replacement. I figured they deserved a chance to make right. So I am patient and waite to see the outcome. But I bought a second Revolution so that I would have at least one for the opener! I figured I would give it to my son to use if I got the other one back in time. Anyway I shot the new one 3 times before the serving cut. Seems the scope mount, trigger assembly has 2 very sharp corners that slices the serving upon firing. I filed the edges down and reserved the string. Shot it 30 or 40 times and all looked good on the new serving Then I noticed that the serving was cut and unwinding at both ends where the edge of the served string rides in the pullies. I also noticed that the servings on the cables were seperating and sliding down the cables. I like the bows. But I don't like crap that I can't depend on.

Uncocked right side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/cabin9-24-09028.jpg

cocked right side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/cabin9-24-09029.jpg

cocked left side

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/Quad82/cabin9-24-09030.jpg

Ivo
09-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Sorry to hear about that finger of yours...thou it kinda sounds strange...given that the failure of their equipment caused an injury and they should be pampering you like a potential friendly face in the court of law...they still try to pull straws.

Now that break is interesting...
Interesting case of casting failure actually...I'll moving up to larger scale casting soon, so this one is pretty interesting to me.

Do they mention what alloy this thing was cast in?

As for the cable system...do they have any actual cables on this bow, because it looks like there is only regular string with some serving on it(obviously it will wear like crazy)...or am I just not seeing something in the pics?

Hunter2
09-16-2009, 07:07 AM
I am not in metals but isnt it hard to check a casting to see how its cast? I think thats why most high end bow companies uses CNC so to speak sold blocks which would have alot less chance of failure. Alot of automotive parts are cast but I am not sure if their is a difference in the process. I guess when you cast 1000s of parts the odds say sooner or later one will fai
Hunter2:)

Quad82
09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Got the Revolution back from Barnett today. They replaced the exploded riser and sent me back the gouged up stock. What a joke. You now (have) to use a rope to cock it. The gouges will take gouges out of your fingers when cocking the string. Well I put the new replacement bow on the new stock from my second Revolution and put it on ebay tonight. When my new string comes in, I will put it on the other Revolution and sell it too. Have to pay for that new Excaliber somehow! Might not be the fastest CB out there. But I hear it's dependable. I am ready for that!

ridgehunter
09-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Not good news, Quad. Was very sorry to hear about your injury and problems. Makes me wonder about extended use of my Barnett. At the least I am now very nervous about it. I am astonished at the lack of reaction by the company:confused:.

Ivo
09-17-2009, 05:06 AM
Lol...that is a joke...I'm sure they would replace the entire bow and apologize if you did the following(not meaning that what you did was not enough as I don't know what did go down in your conversation...just my experience here)...as soon as you hear the guy on the phone not giving you what you want(an apology+a new product...especially if you know that you deserve them) DO NOT waste any more time with this guy as the conversation is being recorded for educational purposes :D ...politely ask to speak with his manager and if he doesn't want to give you the manager or IS the manager > remain on the phone saying that you are not satisfied with the way your case is being handled and ask for who ever is in charge of all the departments...He is the guy you want(no one else)...once you have him on the phone spill your pain on his freshly pressed khakis :D ...usually these guys have no room to back up and don't like to talk alot about someone elses problems, so if you didn't spend too much time on the phone with the useless filtering personell deliver the final blow saying that "you are not satisfied with their product and want your money back" than you should be able to get what you deserve and mainly that is an apology as well as (if you still want it) a fresh and tested product replacement package...free ice cream would also be nice, but that's if the injury involves getting shot in the butt. :D

So, no alloy mark? that's fine...I was just wondering about it because the duraluminum alloys used usually go through heat treatment/tempering stages similar to those used in tempering carbon steels...a mistake there could have caused the unnecessary hardness or stress buildup inside the cast part resulting in part's vulnerability to shock/temperature changes.

The problem seems design related too...the walls around the mounting section look pretty damn thin and the leverage must have done it's job as well. CAD?CAM Software available today is capable of calculating out every little vulnerability of the part under various forces while puting into account the materials specs...usually this option is used in autopilot mode and the app just fixes the model(adding/removing material) where it thinks necessary...not always good.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn137/karman333/Inventor_2009_L.gif

Now I really hate to say this(being a big fan of casting), but when a part is cast it hardens differently from the surface to the core...this means that whatever you see on the pretty colorful stress visualization is not what you will be getting in your part...an Easter Egg of sorts...this is the main disadvantage if compared with the machined ones where the part is the same on the outside as it is on the inside and will stand up to stress as the app had calculated it to do. Quality of the casting can get close to the virtual model thou, but that depends on the quality of the alloy/spruing technique/model position in the die/heat treating...model position being the most important factor because on it will depend which parts of the casting will cool last(the parts that cool last will have the most porosity...which is bad if inside the main casting) as for alloy quality...simple things like WATER in and/or on the metal ingots melted down for casting can bring the above mentioned BAD to SUPER BAD...as it will turn into gas, then it dissolves in the metal becoming a part of it, after the casting solidifies the water becomes gas again making what was once minor porosity into severe and very dangerous situation...as Hunter already mentioned...the surface will look just as good as the perfectly cast one except on the inside you will have a sponge. I believe it only 1 Oz of water was needed to render 15lbs of fresh duraluminum useless...That's why scrap that is to be remelted must be stored inside a dry/clean place. Oh man...I may have typed a bit too much here today...sorry guys.

Hunter2
09-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Thats what I call a lesson in casting. I had no idea of what went on. I know casting can be done just right and is fine, and thats about the extent of anything I knew. Thanks for the in depth explanation. Hunter2:)

ridgehunter
09-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the information, IVO. That is the first time I understood anything about casting. I am what is called, mechanically challenged.

I have seen castings break before but in other items done in earlier technology. Also the described action of the company left me thinking that something may or may not have been left out between the lines. ___________happens but it is how it is dealt with that counts. My reaction would be very much like yours. Thanks for posting, IVO, it gave me much to think about. Appreciate it.

copperhead
09-17-2009, 01:48 PM
ivo is right, i machine castings everyday and have yet to find one that is perfect throughout. these castings are very large though, the smallest weighing at 13,000 pounds. this thread also has me thinking that maybe i got lucky with my predator ( so far). those types of failures should not happen on any crossbow. that is very dangerous medicine. might be time to rethink this barnett loyalty. might be time to sell it and get a better model. i stand corrected!

Hunter2
09-17-2009, 03:36 PM
Good to see you posting. On others threads here and other sites I have made it clear that I like my Barnett and it has great performance no matter what the cost. But with all that said like I have said other places that with the switch made a new set of parameters would be used for another purchase. The Strykeforce being what I think the best hunting bow made no matter how you count strengths of anyone brand.Thats my opinion though and others my have a favorite, but their are many to choose from. Hunter2:)

Ivo
09-18-2009, 12:49 AM
You know guys..I've just re-read my post and have to say...emotions do play a big role in altering ones perception :D...I didn't mean to sound as if all of Barnett's representatives are terrible people...it's just how big companies are structured...departments...departments...departmen ts...and sometimes(99% of the time) the warranty/insurance/claims/etc. departments are not run directly by the company(in our case Barnett), but employ personnel trained by another company...so that is why I said politely ignore the man...the guy you need is the one loyal to the Barnett company and is willing to do anything and everything just so that the customer (given the circumstance) will leave with a smile and a good tale to tell(instead of starting a topic here:D)...after all...the best commercial you can have is a reference from one happy customer to another. Just thought I'd post this...who knows maybe in time they will wisen up...fire all the slackers...hand select a good crew of eager/talented engineers and managers and jack the prices for their bows damn it...quality personnel requires a proportionally large pay-check.

As for castings...as I've stated above they can be of good quality...you just need to follow the technology very closely, give it appropriate tolerances, and don't skimp...I can say these things because I cast very small precision parts that are useless if not perfect(I know I used the forbidden word, but that is what is expected of us) . I am currently working on my kid brothers crossbow and once it's done I will do my first large scale casting(not exactly 13,000lbs thou:D)...a riser and trigger housing for my next crossbow project out of regular aluminum. I will be going for 175/200lbs recurve with a rail-less design...so this will be interesting.:cool:

copperhead
09-18-2009, 01:16 AM
the castings i was refering to are not any special kind of material. just plain ol cast iron. we machine them to build vertical turbine pumps for excess water removal. we built 4 pumps for the louisianna london avenue project after katrina. these are the largest we have done. all had porosity, but not in the highly stressed areas. just in the upper most portion of the casting. maybe barnett will become one of the top few, time will tell. but in the meantime i will continue to put the predator through the torture test to see if it holds up. if it blows i want it to do so in the first year. i have had the bow for several months now and shot the devil out of it. not one iota of trouble. thats interesting, some of their new bows do not last thru a few shots, while others keep going strong. something is just out of line here.

Quad82
09-18-2009, 07:46 AM
I agree. Lemons and cherries. But 2 lemons in a row makes me stop and think. Do you have any idea how badly I grimmace and look away while cocking any crossbow now! It took the fun out of target shooting for sure. Ya, ya, I know. When you fall off a horse, you need to get back on. But you never really loose the fear of falling off again. Maybe old age has tought me a thing or two. Then again, I did buy a second one.

Quad82
10-20-2009, 07:59 PM
The guy I sold the Revolution to (the first one that blew up while cocking), called me. Seems the factory top sling mount stud pulled out of the rail while he was walking to the woods. The bow fell backwards and landed on the scope. Trashed it. I am going to call Barnett and see if they will replace the stock. I don't think they will do anything about the scope. But I have to try. Barnett never did send me a new stock after the riser blew up. It still has the gouges on the sides of the stock under the rail. The rep called and left me a message after they sent the bow back to me. I had already sold the bow. But it was better for me not to call him back at the time. I am still pizzed about the whole ordeal!

Hunter2
10-21-2009, 08:06 AM
The guy I sold the Revolution to (the first one that blew up while cocking), called me. Seems the factory top sling mount stud pulled out of the rail while he was walking to the woods. The bow fell backwards and landed on the scope. Trashed it. I am going to call Barnett and see if they will replace the stock. I don't think they will do anything about the scope. But I have to try. Barnett never did send me a new stock after the riser blew up. It still has the gouges on the sides of the stock under the rail. The rep called and left me a message after they sent the bow back to me. I had already sold the bow. But it was better for me not to call him back at the time. I am still pizzed about the whole ordeal!

It seems I am hearing more on this and thats not good to do when you aretrying to get things turned around. Hunter2

kmrcstintn
11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Dear Quad82...

walk away after the repair/replacement is completed on the one you sold; if you want to get something in the same price range you might want to examine and shoot an Eastman X-Force 300DX which are built by Darton and offer very reasonable warranties: 10 years on riser, 10 years on stock, 10 years on trigger/safety, 5 years on the limbs, ?5 years on the cams?; they are not the speediest or the lightest, but I'd rather have something built like a tank that I can depend on;

best wishes for success in your endeavors and keep bugging Barnett to fix their problems

Quad82
11-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Ya. I picked up an Excalibur Ibex from David at Wayvern. Not the fastest. But it is accurate and DEPENDABLE!

buck
11-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Barnett talks of wanting to turn things around and even talked to david at wyverns about what it would take but I am not seeing the action from them it would take to get me to buy a bow from them. If it cost alittle more to get one of their bows it would still be worth it. Dont get me wrong,I am not trashing Barnett! Its just that I like the wildcat C5 but barnett keeps screwing up and I afraid to get one. I wished they would invest more in the makeing of their bows and even if they cost more that would be fine.

dropzone
12-05-2009, 09:59 PM
The stuff Ive been reading about the warranty is the reason I'm not getting a Barnett. My first choice was the wildcat C5 because of the speed and price. I mean if it had a better warranty I would buy one. I know I my never need it but it would be peace of mind knowing it was there if I did. My thing is They clam that they will stand behind there bows no matter what so why don't they back it up with a good warranty. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Barnett I just don't understand the 1 yr warranty.