PDA

View Full Version : Barnett owners

Hunter2
08-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Their are many that still dont think Barnett s worth buying. Tell us on the site your shoting experiences and your accuracy with your Barnett. What barnett do you own? What model year is it? I dont shoot groups as copperhead but some dont believe the accuracy I hear many get. Tell how close do you come when you are sighting in your bow. Hunter2

ridgehunter
08-09-2009, 01:59 PM
My bow is a Barnett Wildcat C5-2009 model. Right out of the box I was shooting 1-2 in groups with my red dot scope. I need to work with my broadheads yet as some are telling me that NAP 125 gr Thunderheads do not fly well but I have also heard the opposite. Fixed broadheads have always worked better for me and have been my personal choice. Although I have heard that many hunters do very well with mechanicals. I have had to track 2 deer that were hit by mechanicals that did not open up and that was enough for me. (These were hits by other hunters.)

Hunter2
08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I used them for about 20 years and they worked great. I now use a mechanical andit flies like a field tip. It was hard to change but did and happy with them. Hunter2

buck
09-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Barnett is a affordable bow and alot of people have taken game with it but what happens with alot of barnett bows is people buy them and dont learn to use the right first. I saw a guy with one awhile back that was not lubeing the barrel. The same person was drawing by hand and not checking the alignment of the string. With the faster barnetts he would have popped the string and barnett would get a bad rap for his ignorance. I would say that half of what gets sent back to barnett is the shooters fault! We have some interesting folks here that lets just say, they know everything and cannot learn anything,now they buy a barnett bow and someone tells them how to shoot and maintain the bow but they do it their way(NO LUBE,NOT CHECKING TO SEE THE STRING IS DRAWN RIGHT) and blow it up. Barnett gets the knife for fools mistake! Higher doller bows are out of these people reach and barnett attracts the and gets the knife for their ignorance. That is just my thoughts! By the way, I did try to help the guy I am talkeing about but he kept doing it his way. I think his bow was a rc150?

ridgehunter
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reminders, buck! I have to run through a checklist each session or I forget to do things: check everything for tightness, lube and wax, check crank and scope, make sure battery has been off and is now still working, check limbs and pulleys. It is like operating a car. Take care of it and it usually takes care of you.

Hunter2
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Barnett is a affordable bow and alot of people have taken game with it but what happens with alot of barnett bows is people buy them and dont learn to use the right first. I saw a guy with one awhile back that was not lubeing the barrel. The same person was drawing by hand and not checking the alignment of the string. With the faster barnetts he would have popped the string and barnett would get a bad rap for his ignorance. I would say that half of what gets sent back to barnett is the shooters fault! We have some interesting folks here that lets just say, they know everything and cannot learn anything,now they buy a barnett bow and someone tells them how to shoot and maintain the bow but they do it their way(NO LUBE,NOT CHECKING TO SEE THE STRING IS DRAWN RIGHT) and blow it up. Barnett gets the knife for fools mistake! Higher doller bows are out of these people reach and barnett attracts the and gets the knife for their ignorance. That is just my thoughts! By the way, I did try to help the guy I am talkeing about but he kept doing it his way. I think his bow was a rc150?

I posted a post on the nation once about owner caused problems and the result was about 50 percent caused by the owner and not a real warranty problem. Thanks Buck, put very well. Hunter2

copperhead
09-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I DON'T GIVE A RIP WHAT SOME PEOPLE THINK ABOUT MY BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets not get involved in another my bow is better debate here. i know its not headed in that direction yet, and i hope it doesn't. i promise, if i kill anything with it i will post some pics and folks can see that my animals are just as dead as theirs.

buck
09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
copperhead,people dont take care of their bows and expect them to work and last. Here is my point,if you go to a pawn shop and look at firearms here where i live, you will see guns that have been badly abused. What would the person that had owned that gun have done to a crossbow? Its not the bows makers fault that people wont read the instructions but the bow makers get knocked when the bow fells. I think thats alot of barnetts problem after watching one guy shoot his without lube and hand drawing it.

copperhead
09-09-2009, 12:46 AM
buck, you are very wise on the subject of people. they buy a crossbow and think they have a very slow gun. i have taken a lot of care with my predator and used it as suggested in the owners manual and have not had one problem. very accurate and very quite. i will put my predator up against any crossbow out there and i will beat them with my predator. i have shot it enough that at 20 yards i can hit the nocks on my arrows on purpose! ANY CROSSBOW! it is not how accurate the bow is but how accurate the indian is.

Hunter2
09-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Both of you guys have spoken well on the subject, but no matter how much sense it makes and how correct you are. There arer those who will still be negative. They are trying to correct things and seem to be doing a good job. Hunter2

captainjpm
10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
My Jackel is a 2012 model. It shot quarter size groups right out of the box. I adjusted the three dot scope starting at 10 yards. Now it is right on target at 10, 20, and 30 yards. I love my Jackel.

baxman
10-24-2012, 10:34 PM
I have been hunting for 25 yrs and just this year purchased my first crossbow. Barnett Jackal. I gave up on a straight compound bow that I hunted with for 15 years as I don't have the time to practice as much as I need to. Pse laser 2000 did It's job but now sits on the wall. All my hunting buddies have been at me for years to switch, I did and they are in awe of this crossbow. They mainly shoot Horton's or Excalibers and all but 1 has decided that after shooting this bow, very affordable, that Barnett is going to be thieir next purchase. Not nessasarily the Jackal, but something by Barnett. We are hunters up here in Canada and don't care about the name as much as the performance.

shootr
11-04-2012, 07:47 AM
I picked up a jackal and its a great bow. New to crossbows myself. I also picked up a commando and love shooting it so much easier to cock. I wish they would make a newer crossbow with this cocking feature. I would but two.

irish1169
11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
the jackal and wild cat are reasonable power xbows. Once you get into there high octane bows issues begin to arrise. I own the predator. I had to send that back twice in two months out of the box. Im keeping it, had sold it but fell through, however, i will only shoot it enough to keep it sighted in fo hunting.

jrken1
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
These picks should speak for themselves. The first is a picture of the one time I shot 2 arrows from a gun rest at 20 yards. The tight grouping cost me two good arrows. The second pic is a picture of the doe I took this month at 40 yards. Both pictures were the result of a finely tuned Barnett Jackal. Entry level bow..... yes, but for a shooter it is second to none.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/jrken1/011.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/jrken1/FirstJackalKill.jpg

Hack
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I shoot a 2012 Wildcat C5. I have a Vengeance on the way

cwcook68
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I've been shooting a Ghost 400 for two years now and other than the knock issue that Barnett has fixed I've had absolutely no problems with my bow except losing a broad head or two that got buried in a couple oaks due to the power of the Ghost. I work on race cars for a living and I like all my toys to be fast so when i see post on here about the quality of Barnett crossbows its a shame. I know from experience the the fastest car dosen't always win the race, typically the car thats tuned the best in all aspects comes out on top. I love my Barnett and plan on buying my wife one soon.

T-Bolt
03-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I just got into crossbows and bought an almost new (17ish shots) Barnett Predator from a friend. This thing is awesome! He bought the PSE TAC 15i so he did not need his Barnett. Lucky me. New to forum and hoping to learn a lot.

Jack Pine
03-29-2013, 08:40 AM
I just got into crossbows and bought an almost new (17ish shots) Barnett Predator from a friend. This thing is awesome! He bought the PSE TAC 15i so he did not need his Barnett. Lucky me. New to forum and hoping to learn a lot.

Welcome to the forum T.
Jack ><>

Redpaw_TheArcher
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm a new person to the forums. I started out with Barnett Commando brass crossbow back in the 80's and kept shooting it weekly for about 4 years straight. I never had an issue with it ever, until it grew legs one day and walked away.

I own a Ghost 350 for 2 months now, I've put close to 200 shots down range with incredible results. I think the Integrity of Barnett Crossbows are above equal in all aspects and customer service. There are things all owners should know about crossbow shooting and repeated maintenance is a must. I find that just a few minutes every hour or so to double check the limbs, the cams, the scope mount, the finger guards as well as string wear and lube will get you further in performance and safety around others than to just think a crossbow is a toy and if it fails then blame the other person for it.

Customer service in the first week was beyond great, I needed a replacement rubber for the quiver ( part that holds shaft, not broadhead) because I was going to fabricate another arrow quiver for my extra bolts. I made contact with Barnett and told them of my intentions, and that I'd like 6 rubber arrow holders and I'd pay to have them.

Within 2 hours, my cell phone rang. It was Awesome Christine with Barnett. She informed me that they can't supply me with the specific individual part, but she'd be more than willing to just send me another quiver. I thanked her immensely and 4 days later a new quiver was on my doorstep. FREE.

Fast forward to today - the wife and I really enjoy the Barnett Ghost. The wife can cock the unit when she sits down and extends her legs and back. So I made contact again with Barnett and informed them that although the ghost was a little too much for the wife, I'd like to hear what would suit my wife better for her small 5'1" frame.

Barnett called again.... June 1st is the release date for the Barnett Recruit Compound Crossbow. I'm very impressed with the statistics and price point of this unit. The wife says it will make a great Mothers Day gift and she's willing to wait.

BUT IM NOT !!!!!! Come on June 1st !!!! Come on Barnett !!!!

In the meantime, we've been learning all about fletching with a bitz, FOC, windage adjustments, and a host of things to do while waiting for the Barnett Recruit Compound. See you in another thread, and thanks for having a forum for us old timers to come visit.

original45
05-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Well I can't hunt with mine,u.k laws.but I still love the shoot. I shoot between 50 80 yds ranges .I have a back condition so drawing a powerful beast isn't a option .for me I started with a wildcat mk1 ,then went through most vintage barnett international bows which I still have.last bows I bought and prefer by far by barnett is the commando 2.for me ease of use powerful enough and not plastic.shot a c5 wildcat which I loved butcant draw it.

bigge_al
06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Here is my story I bought my Barnett Revolution XS used from a flee market and b4 shooting it I went to have it checked out by an archery shop. First thing they noticed was that it needed a string and maybe cables and that the rail for the scope was missing and they could not replace it they told me to call Barnett. A very nice women at Barnett offered for $100 shipped back to me to replace the trigger (older bow so they no longer had the rail, trigger contains new rail system) and cables and string. Sent Friday and Monday i get call from Barnett xbow completed they not only replace trigger, but replaced limbs, cams, cables, and string and included scope rings (the entire front of the bow with the newer split limb design). Got bow back put scope on(stryker scope) then sighted it in and from 10 yds. to 30 yds. I am able to to use same crosshair.(only because I have not shot any further yet.) My arrows are going so fast that they are melting into my styrofoam target on impact first 5 shot I thought I missed target because the passed thru target. Great customer service and excellent bow.

heretic2006
09-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Just got a wildcat c5 yesterday. For the bolds that comes with the package, it doesn't say anything about the weight (I believe it is 300 grain). Can someone confirm this? I also bought some bolts from ebay at 300 grain and plan to use 100 grain target head and broadheads.

Joe T.
09-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Barnett recommends a total arrow weight of 400 grains, with 100 gr. heads, you're right on the money.

VEARL
09-10-2013, 04:12 PM
their are many that still dont think barnett s worth buying. Tell us on the site your shoting experiences and your accuracy with your barnett. What barnett do you own? What model year is it? I dont shoot groups as copperhead but some dont believe the accuracy i hear many get. Tell how close do you come when you are sighting in your bow. Hunter2

i have a barnet rc 150. Not the most expensive crossbow, but it worlks for me and my budget.
I wax my rail and string after 5 shots. Maintain the bow as if it cost twice the amount. I figure if someone say to maintain the trigger housing by doing such and such...well i do it.
I am getting 2 inche groups at 20 yds and 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups at 30 yds. No scope or red dot. Just old fashion sight pins and a rear peep sight.
Looking forward to deer season.

Jaymag
10-20-2013, 01:34 PM
My father bought a Flagship Ten Point Pro elite back in 2007.He likes my Ghost 350 more.Guy's that bleed ten point, I just don't get???Why would I spend almost twice the money for a slower, louder,heavier bow.Louder by far!!!!Ok the accu draw 50 is the only real good thing on there bows and it's extra $$??Ok now for shooting???All crossbows are deadly accurate,end of story!!! The fine details in my dads ten point where terrible.He was very disappointed in the paint job that was not evened out or not there in some spots.And the cams had spots that where not polished and sharp.This was a 1600.00 dollar crossbow!!!People buy Weatherby guns and pay more for the perfection of the weapon.Sorry to all ten point guy's but there not worth the money.Dads next CB is Barnett all day after seeing mine!!!!

Noskipallwd
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
New Xbow user here. Bought a Jackal to see if target shooting and hunting with an Xbow was for me without breaking the bank. While I had some minor problems with it I am satisfied with the purchase. The scope mount was not level with the rails, limbs, or riser, nor was it aligned with the rail groove. Some minor shimming corrected this. I was not impressed with the included 4x32 scope either, so I replaced it with a Hawke XB1, which I love. My first six shots at 20 yds were a 2 inch group, an inch to the right and above the aim point. A few clicks and I was good to go! If you make an informed purchase, follow Barnetts instructions, you can have a highly accurate and effective hunting XBow for less than 400 bucks(including scope).

Cheers,
Shawn

carlchj100
12-26-2013, 12:32 AM

Buck thanks for your post. I got my first crossbow today for Christmas ( Barnett ghost 410) and all I have read on forums today is Barnett=bad. I found your post thoughtful but was wondering where or how a newb like me can learn corrects care and techniques? Also you mentioned checking the draw is aligned. With the dry fire saftey how can you correct that error without firing the bow? Is that something you can see going wrong while your cocking it? Ill take all the info you would be willing to offer. Thanks

OCR
12-26-2013, 09:53 AM
First off, read the owners manual. If one did not come in the box then go to the Barnett web site and download one.
This will give you all the pertinent information that you need.

Couple of tips;
#1. Keep fingers away from string path when shooting. {at the very least you will get a bad bruise and at the worst, you lose a finger.}
#2. Always inspect the string before and after shooting for wear, nicks, fraying, and serving slippage.
#3, Always lube the string with good grade wax and use a silicon lube for the rail as recommended by the manufacturer.

7iron
12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I went shooting with my SIL on sat., We went to a local indoor range, I explained to the guy that I was new at bow hunting and didn't know much about crossbows. He took the time to explain the proper way to cock the bow. how to oil the cams, wax the string, and lube the rail. I think you will find very useful info at your local shop, they are eager to help you along and to gain a new customer.

Tcrawler
01-02-2014, 04:42 PM
I just recently purchased my first xbow. After much research i chose the Ghost 385 for a little under $700. Barnett did not advertise this bow correctly on the website. It has reverse cams which is not mentioned and the picture doesnt show them either. It is similar to the Razr without the skinning knife...lol and the stock is a little different. The 385 is only 34" long and has a 14" power stroke due to the reverse cams. I'm shooting 435 gr. arrows. I'm using the 20" headhunters that came with it with a 125 gr. point. I weighed the arrows without the points and they are 307 gr, +/- 1 gr. 14% FOC i believe. I love the bow so far. I have shot it about 70 times now and the only problem i see which isnt that bad is the serving is wearing a little at the two points where the cocking aid is positioned. The cocking aid came in the package and has the little fixed bar so i cant position it where i want to. Otherwise i have been shooting 2.5" groups out to 40 yards. Cant wait to take a whitetail with it. I sent an e-mail to Barnett with a question and they called me back the next day. I think the customer service is great so far. Hopefully wont need it. This is a sweet shooting bow and reccomend it strongly. I have held a lot of bows and this one felt the best also. Barnett dropped the ball on this one........Im hooked, as i think im going to buy a Raptor to play with also since its getting some great reviews.

pennahunter
02-08-2014, 09:54 AM
I DON'T GIVE A RIP WHAT SOME PEOPLE THINK ABOUT MY BARNETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets not get involved in another my bow is better debate here. i know its not headed in that direction yet, and i hope it doesn't. i promise, if i kill anything with it i will post some pics and folks can see that my animals are just as dead as theirs.

I hear yah, I feel the same way, as a newbie to XBow hunting, Im really dont know anything to compare it to, other than friends comments and this forums threads. I love my Wildcat Xtreme and its DEAD'ON for accuracy. I couldnt believe it. Now I have to decide on the Broadhead that wont lose that accuracy. I really like this product, yes, there are far more PRECISE and faster Xbow in the market, with a heavy price too. Til then, Im happy with my setup and there are many like it, but, this one is mine. Best, D.

spec
04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Really good points have been made here
I had a Predator a while back and Loved that bow, It was before the upgrade to the CRT...I read all the horror stories and the shining reveiws. I shot a Horton, Tenpoint, etc... Once I shot the Barnett I bought it...It was fairly easy to assemble and was pretty accurate out of the box so to speak
I'm of the "Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you" crowd
I waxed, and Lubed the rail after every outing almost daily (Truck farm with raccoons, and other pests) Maintenance...Like any weapon...Check the string,cables,and ALL fasteners Like I said before I loved that bow... It saw some abuse, It bloodied my Index finger and Thumb once...MY BAD...
Had to re scope it cuz I dropped it...Again...MY BAD...One thing I learned if you want to ship the bow abroad don't loctite the fasteners..
I just ordered the BCXtreme after doing alot of research Because it's lite weight and I liked the Barnett bow I owned
Once it gets here I write up a blow by blow review from the box on the doorstep to whatever we end up with
I'm not an expert or any thing