PDA

View Full Version : Good bear

buck
07-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Theres a good bear staying around my father and mother-in-laws land. They have seen it twice in the last month. It is not real shy so maybe I will get a chance at it in crossbow season. The terain is rough and steep moutain and is hardwood timbered at the bottom and fresh clear cut at top with old clear cut for about two hundred acres on the backside. The man that owns the back side is married to my cousin so I can hunt there too, if I ask. I have plenty of places to setup to hunt the bear, its is just a matter of finding his patern. I would say that due to brush, I will most likely be shooting around 25yards. I Was wondering if theres anyone that can give me some advice on hunting bears. I use a small pop up ground blind and it contains my sent and movement. I can shoot good out to 35 yards and after that my asthma has me breathing so hard I shoot a 4 inch group at 40 yards unless have a real good rest. Could someone fill me in on the do's and don'ts of bear hunting.

Hunter2
07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
I dont know alot but the first thing I would do is find a spot to hunt the bear using using or you find tracks. Then start baiting that spot if its legal in yor state with old donuts and pastries, maybe alittle honey. After the bear starts using the spot put the food in a barrel, drum or crate to make them work for it. Then when its the season while they are trying to get the food it will give you time to make the shot. Hunter2

buck
07-27-2009, 07:25 PM
They will not let us bait for bear in the area I live in. We can use scent and lures but no bait. That makes it hard unless theres a scent lure that really works. Anybody got any ideas?

copperhead
07-28-2009, 02:49 AM
no baiting allowed here either buck. the way we do it here is to find which white oak trees are bearing nuts, then when they start falling find where the animals have been raking the leaves. look around in the area for trees that have been raked by the bears claws. also look for any low limbs that have been broken. when you find this spot you have a good chance of getting him. forget trying to kill him in the morning, that rarely works and all you do is spook him away because he will likely already be there if you try the morning. the way my brother has killed all his bears is to get downwind on a fairly windy day. get in there by 2 in the afternoon and wait. its tough, but the bear feeding there will usually show up about dark thirty. i don't hunt bears myself but i have helped my brother drag a bear or two. killing it is the easy part, getting it out of the woods is a solid challenge!

Hunter2
07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Find a good foof source or watering hole they use and set up close to that would be my best guess then, if no baiting allowed. Hunter2

buck
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
There is alot of water sources in the area. I am gonna scout some maybe before season. They have opened bear and deer season starting october 3rd. I hope to hunt alot this year and get some wall hangers. I had a few tropheys on the wall of our house that burnt in 2005 so I need to get a few back. I had a exotic ram that had one and a half currel horns. I would like to get a bear skin for the wall because I will not be able to get another ram for along time. I hope to get a hog to. Do you guys have any trophies on the wall?

copperhead
07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
i don't hunt for trophys myself, buck. but if one comes along there will be an arrow on its way to get him! i have caught some trophy fish and ate them. i also have killed some pretty impressive hogs, ate them too. boiled the heads to make brunswick stew. got some good looking skulls around here somewhere. got some pretty good antlers too, just have to try to find them. debby doesn't like skulls or antlers lying around. she thinks its morbid, doesn't like mounted heads either. i am not to crazy about them myself. but to each his own. i am sorry to hear you lost yours in a fire. thats terrible, even though i don't care for them myself i do like to look at them. that sounds crazy but its true. buck, i truly wish you the best of luck on those bears and i hope you get you some horns and antlers to replace the ones you lost.

Hunter2
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I am not a trophy hunter either. I hunt for the love of hunting and the reward of meat in the freezer. I would like a wall hanger though but thats just icing on the cake. Hunter2

copperhead
07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
the very best of luck to you h2 on your trophy quest. it would be nice to kill a large antlered buck. but its not a priority. i know some guys that drive themselves and thier families nuts in the quest for bone.

buck
07-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Hey friends,I am not much of a trophy hunter but I like a few heads on the wall to look at in off season. It just keeps me thinking of hunting season and the fun of being in the woods. I try to kill some does every year to eat and if a good buck comes through I might put him on the wall. I love to grill deer meat and potatoes and just enjoy it. I had a few heads on the wall and would like to put some back. I guess its alot to do with something to talk about when people visit and let them know how I feel about hunting.