PDA

View Full Version : Spammers

Jack Pine
10-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Is there some way we can keep spammers from joining and posting their cell phones and other stuff for sale? Kind of annoying and I really don't think crossbow freaks like me are that interested in buying cell phones on a crossbow site. Also I thought there used to be a "report" button we could click to notify admins of offensive posts, which these spams are.
While I'm on a roll, one more thing. I admit I'm a computer stupe, but I can't figure out a way to include pix in a PM. Is it just my computer, something I'm doing wrong, or is there really no way to do this?

Jack ><>

buck
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I got the spammer but I don't know how to add a picture. I was chosen as a moderator for looks not brains! lol

Jack Pine
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I got the spammer but I don't know how to add a picture. I was chosen as a moderator for looks not brains! lol

ROFLMBO!!! Good 'un Tony.
Jack ><>

OCR
11-21-2011, 09:36 AM
On the lower left side of each post you will see a black triangle. Move your pointer over it and it will say "report post". Click on it and it will take you to a page/form to report it.

OCR
12-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Does this site run on V Bulletin?
If so, you can add a easy tool to handle this.
On several sites where I am a mod we have "one step ban and clean".
It allows you to clean all the spam by one user and ban them with a single click from a drop menu on the user name.

If you are using a secure code on registering, then no bots are getting in. It would only be a person who is actually registering and then using a spam bot to post.

Fuzzy
12-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Does this site run on V Bulletin?
If so, you can add a easy tool to handle this.
On several sites where I am a mod we have "one step ban and clean".
It allows you to clean all the spam by one user and ban them with a single click from a drop menu on the user name.

If you are using a secure code on registering, then no bots are getting in. It would only be a person who is actually registering and then using a spam bot to post.

I believe this gentleman would be a good choice to help moderate and fix some of these problems for us. So my vote is for him at this point.

Boonedocksbear
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
We could use something now, seems like they are back in force. Almost every single forum has spam posts.

buck
10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Copperhead quit and its just me and i need some help. I am trying to get a muzzleloader ready for season and can't keep spam off.

Boonedocksbear
10-22-2012, 05:17 PM
I check the forums at least twice daily. Figured you where the only one patrolling. If there is any way to let me just get rid of spam, I'd be happy to be a deputy ;) .

buck
10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
I sent a message to the owner of the forum to set you up as a moderator Boonedocksbear. Thanks for the help!

KrossbowKing
10-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Hey Boonedocksbear

We're always happy to have more eyes on the spammers! I'll shoot you a PM with some details. Buck you've been doing a great job!!! Thanks for the heads up :-)

Boonedocksbear
10-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Awesome. Thank you for the trust.

Boosbuddy
10-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the "heads up". Was able to report the spam posted by dzrado078. Hopefully they will be banned. Just a matter of time before they are replaced by some other MOOP (Moron Of Over-Population).

OCR
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Back from hospital stay for Hip replacement and ready to kill spammers.

Downrange
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Good Luck and gods speed in healing

Zackattack34
04-21-2014, 01:43 PM
I know this is a VERY OLD post but i couldn't help but chip in. Have any of the mods ever thought of perhaps blocking the IP addresses of spam bots? If we were to do that then it would block out any attempt by a person to make a account and use it to install a spam bot. (im assuming that this forum has a filter to stop spam bots from getting in on their own and just posting?) If not i have some suggestions to help this forum protect itself against spam bots infiltrating it solo without a user sitting behind the keyboard i would be happy to share with a mod. I'm mentioning this because i have seen the activity of these bots increasing lately and the forums security measures against this seem (and no insult intended here) outdated to the current generations hackers and spam bots.

OCR
04-21-2014, 03:27 PM
When we delete a post/thread as spam, the IP is blocked.
However, it does not stop the individual from opening multiple accounts first and then spamming.
Also does not stop spoofed IP or zombie postings from slave units.

BTB I do have links to the VB forums and the software that can help.
It doesn't work if it has not been installed though.

Zackattack34
04-21-2014, 07:10 PM
When we delete a post/thread as spam, the IP is blocked.
However, it does not stop the individual from opening multiple accounts first and then spamming.
Also does not stop spoofed IP or zombie postings from slave units.

BTB I do have links to the VB forums and the software that can help.
It doesn't work if it has not been installed though.

Well what i was going to suggest is maybe a captcha requirement that must be done to do a post. That may be a little annoying i know but it would make the site a lot more secure against bots.

kev1
04-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the info. unfortunately there is no way too filter out spam altogether. I tried to sort out the captcha function myself but there is a reoccurring error that pops up. Believe me this is on my to do list... Once again once we have some spare change we will pay somebody I.T savy to look into it.

Zackattack34
04-22-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info. unfortunately there is no way too filter out spam altogether. I tried to sort out the captcha function myself but there is a reoccurring error that pops up. Believe me this is on my to do list... Once again once we have some spare change we will pay somebody I.T savy to look into it.

When you do get the I.T person just my recommendation is to have a Captcha required to sign up which would prevent zombie and bot accounts and then a captcha for every post so that a human only can post.

kev1
04-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Hi guys just to let you know, ive updated the spam software tool, so should make it harder for spammers... see how it goes..

Zackattack34
04-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Hi guys just to let you know, ive updated the spam software tool, so should make it harder for spammers... see how it goes..

Sweet ill personally be looking around myself!

FrankBean
07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks, much appreciated.

spec
07-16-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks, much appreciated.
Got anything to say worth while?
Or you just posting to hear yourself type?