PDA

View Full Version : cedar arrows for Poe Lang crossbow

semperfi1970
01-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I picked up a Poe Lang crossbow of the 150lbs variety about a year ago for almost nothing. I was shooting some homemade carbon arrows I made from 30" arrows cut in half with filled inserts for flat nocks. Well I had some 11/32 65lbs 32" cedar shafts left over from my traditional days that were begging for attention. The finished arrows are 16.5" long, because of the glue on points (125 grains) I get 33" of arrows out of a 32" shaft. I used 5" feathers I had found in my fletching box, wish I still had some shield cut feathers as they would have looked better. The nock ends are soaked in extra thin cyanoacrylate glue for a few minutes. The cut and tapered Shafts were dried to around 5% then soaked for 1 hour in a 40% thined slow set polyester resin. I would give a spine weight but my old spine scale doent go that high. Out of two dozen arrows made I was able to get 9 to come out at 349 to 352 grains, the rest were all over the map. This is in part to the shafts absorb the resin at different rates. The matched finished arrows group very well, nothing like carbon or aliminum but ok for an old guy with nothing better to do than play around with some wood sticks. I would not try this with a modern crossbow as im sure you would not have favorable (safe) results. Back in the day this is how we made our crossbow arrows minus the modern glue, we just used thined lacquer. The groups are from 30 yards, I think I could have done better but its cold here and I dont much like the cold.

avgvstvs
01-21-2011, 03:32 AM
I'm new in this. Actually you make interesting thing. I also have Poe Lang CR-006 model, but i never try other bolts except original they recommend me in store where i byu the crossbow. The Aluminium type 2219 also product of Poe Lang. They are good but only for target practice i think. on 30-40 meters it is possible to make good groups. And PLS can you tell me which model you have.. And how are you satisfied with him...

THX

Marjan

Jack Pine
01-21-2011, 04:46 AM
I picked up a Poe Lang crossbow of the 150lbs variety about a year ago for almost nothing. I was shooting some homemade carbon arrows I made from 30" arrows cut in half with filled inserts for flat nocks. Well I had some 11/32 65lbs 32" cedar shafts left over from my traditional days that were begging for attention. The finished arrows are 16.5" long, because of the glue on points (125 grains) I get 33" of arrows out of a 32" shaft. I used 5" feathers I had found in my fletching box, wish I still had some shield cut feathers as they would have looked better. The nock ends are soaked in extra thin cyanoacrylate glue for a few minutes. The cut and tapered Shafts were dried to around 5% then soaked for 1 hour in a 40% thined slow set polyester resin. I would give a spine weight but my old spine scale doent go that high. Out of two dozen arrows made I was able to get 9 to come out at 349 to 352 grains, the rest were all over the map. This is in part to the shafts absorb the resin at different rates. The matched finished arrows group very well, nothing like carbon or aliminum but ok for an old guy with nothing better to do than play around with some wood sticks. I would not try this with a modern crossbow as im sure you would not have favorable (safe) results. Back in the day this is how we made our crossbow arrows minus the modern glue, we just used thined lacquer. The groups are from 30 yards, I think I could have done better but its cold here and I dont much like the cold.

SF

Nicely done! What did you use to thin the cyanoacrylate glue with?

A ><>

Jack Pine
01-21-2011, 04:47 AM
I'm new in this. Actually you make interesting thing. I also have Poe Lang CR-006 model, but i never try other bolts except original they recommend me in store where i byu the crossbow. The Aluminium type 2219 also product of Poe Lang. They are good but only for target practice i think. on 30-40 meters it is possible to make good groups. And PLS can you tell me which model you have.. And how are you satisfied with him...

THX

Marjan

Augustus,

How did your pig hunt turn out?

A ><>

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Arbalist, I wish I knew how to thin CA glues. I also am in the remote control airplane hobby and that is were I find my extra thin CA glues. Balsa USA has a web site were you can buy custom blended CA that is batch freshness dated. It is very expensive but well worth it. Super glue and of the like give CA glues a bad name. The extra thin CA can wick into about any pouris structure/material to reinforce. When used on open cell wood grain (nock end) it will wick in about a solid inch and make it almost as tough as plastic nocks. I would trust cedar arrows made from Hexshafts and spined to 95lbs at 31", cut to 20" the spine more than doubles. By the time you buy the shafts and do all of the work you to make 3 dozen shafts you would get 1 dozen at best to weigh in your specified grain weight. Well to me it would make more sence to just buy 3 dozen of the best carbon arrows and end up with 3 dozen arrows that are perfect. I just wanted to relive my childhood:)

Jack Pine
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Well, it did sound pretty labor intensive, and the time spent could have been used to make money to buy carbon, but I like to work with my hands too. I wonder if lacquer thinner would thin CA?

A ><>

Longhair
01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I wonder if lacquer thinner would thin CA?Don't think so. Laquer thinner is just mineral spirits.
Acetone would be more likely. Or perhaps MEK (methel ethel keytone), but that's pretty nasty stuff to be around.

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Avgvstvs, I have no idea what model my Poe Lang crossbow is. I picked it up for around $35 if I remember correctly from a flea market. I put a mill dot scope on it and can shoot out to 80 yards for fun. As the bow is rather slow it has one heck of a rainbow trajectory shooting past 20 yards. I have shot all sorts of arrows from it and found that the 314 grain cut down carbon arrow or the 314 grain 2018 aluminum arrows work the best. Through my cronograph the best I have gotten was 227fps with a 314 grain arrow (poe lang 2018 14" arrow with a 75 grain tip) and 160fps with a 430 grain arrow(poe lang 2219 16" arrow with a 100 grain tip). If you so desire you can put a 5/16" wood or the like shim behind the prod and put a few twists in the string and gain about 7fps. The factory string is made of polyester so you would play hell breaking the prod with too light of an arrow( within reason) as the string is slow and stretchy. I used silicone calk inside of the limb tips to keep them from cracking so soon (squirt it in and press them on). If you use aluminum arrows in your Poe Lang I would suggest you use some sort of lube on the arrow and in the track as it is pot metal of some sort and not hard anodized aluminum. My aluminum arrows have cut there own track inside of 500 shots or so. I would feel confident that I could kill deer size game inside of 20 yards providing I had perfect arrow placement with the Poe Lang using the 314 grain arrow and 75 grain fixed blade broadhead, I feel that there is not enough KE to use expandable broadheads unless you used the rear deploying type. I think your best bet is to use something like the magnus sniffer with true cut on contact. With the 16" arrow I would stay in the 10 yard range. As far as hog hunting, well I have shot hogs here in the U.S. with alot more bow than the Poe Lang and not gotten full pass through inside of 30 yards. I think you would need to have that perfect shot to pull it off, hit bone and you got a wounded hog on your hands. In short I think your best bet is to use the 2018 14" (in the states they call them 15" but they measure 14", 15" with the point) Poe Lang arrows for all around best performance. The 2" vanes are perfect no need for 4" or 5" vanes, they just slow the arrow down. I have put a few pics for you to look at of the arrows that I shoot through the Poe Lang and the bow. The one pic is the nock end of a cut down carbon arrow, I used an insert filled with putty epoxy and sanded it flat, this arrow works the best at 15.5" and 314 grains using a 75 grain tip. What bow model do I have by the way?

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Let me explain further on the track wear. The 2217, 2219 arrows with moon nocks produce the wear. The track is not deep enough for the hight of the center of the moon nock. 2018 and the carbon arrow cut down ( about the same o.d. as the 2018) is more what the bow was designed to shoot. 2219 are fine with flat nocks. This is just my findings with my bow for what it is worth. As you can see in the pic I have some nasty wear in the flight track. Trust me it is worse than it looks you cant see rite by the string catch.

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Longhair, I remember years back when I painted at the end of the day we would wash up with MEK and then dump it out back of the factory in the driveway. Nothing like scrubbing your hands and arms with MEK, who knew or cared back then. Now acitone works wonders for removing feathers from aluminum arrows, just fill a glass jar and soak them for a few minutes( dont forget to take the nocks off or they turn to rubber. The feathers are just fine and not ruined like the old razor blade trick. Mind you acitone is not much better than MEK for ya.

Longhair
01-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Acetone isn't fun, but it is readily available, and it works great as a solvent on most acrylic base materials. I think that it would probably be what I'd thin with.
Just don't light your cigar while you're working with it. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m252/RiverIsMyGoddess/icons/smiley_cigar.gif

Longhair
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I used an insert filled with putty epoxy and sanded it flat
Why fill it? What's the purpose?

Inquiring minds want to know. http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p1YDVI-wn6igcQJKsf4P9n70qQhjLYtSGPBwonqTwjzU3FEsUVlcwV2cw OFBrtqyc8xeARH_TqcLmxinfir7taw/Hmm.gif

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Longhair, I filled the inserts because the contact point would have been so minute that I was thinking it could have cut the string. To take the sharp edge off of the outside I had to sand it a little further reducing the contact points.

Longhair
01-21-2011, 09:19 PM
It really isn't necessary. I have some flat nock arrows that have inserts for nocks. I couldn't find any factory flats that would fit. I just knocked the edges off the OD, and called it good. I shoot them out of my 140# 260fps Crisbow Quadro, and my 175# 315fps TenPoint ProFusion. No problem. It also gives you a place to screw a handle in to pull an arrow if need be. Or somewhere to add an 8-32 screw to juggle FOC.

semperfi1970
01-21-2011, 10:04 PM
I will give it a try, I like the idea of using it to pull the arrow. Excal sells something like that I think.

avgvstvs
01-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Augustus,

How did your pig hunt turn out?

A ><>

The temperatures drop down a lot and we leave it....

avgvstvs
01-26-2011, 02:00 AM
Avgvstvs, I have no idea what model my Poe Lang crossbow is. I picked it up for around $35 if I remember correctly from a flea market. I put a mill dot scope on it and can shoot out to 80 yards for fun. As the bow is rather slow it has one heck of a rainbow trajectory shooting past 20 yards. I have shot all sorts of arrows from it and found that the 314 grain cut down carbon arrow or the 314 grain 2018 aluminum arrows work the best. Through my cronograph the best I have gotten was 227fps with a 314 grain arrow (poe lang 2018 14" arrow with a 75 grain tip) and 160fps with a 430 grain arrow(poe lang 2219 16" arrow with a 100 grain tip). If you so desire you can put a 5/16" wood or the like shim behind the prod and put a few twists in the string and gain about 7fps. The factory string is made of polyester so you would play hell breaking the prod with too light of an arrow( within reason) as the string is slow and stretchy. I used silicone calk inside of the limb tips to keep them from cracking so soon (squirt it in and press them on). If you use aluminum arrows in your Poe Lang I would suggest you use some sort of lube on the arrow and in the track as it is pot metal of some sort and not hard anodized aluminum. My aluminum arrows have cut there own track inside of 500 shots or so. I would feel confident that I could kill deer size game inside of 20 yards providing I had perfect arrow placement with the Poe Lang using the 314 grain arrow and 75 grain fixed blade broadhead, I feel that there is not enough KE to use expandable broadheads unless you used the rear deploying type. I think your best bet is to use something like the magnus sniffer with true cut on contact. With the 16" arrow I would stay in the 10 yard range. As far as hog hunting, well I have shot hogs here in the U.S. with alot more bow than the Poe Lang and not gotten full pass through inside of 30 yards. I think you would need to have that perfect shot to pull it off, hit bone and you got a wounded hog on your hands. In short I think your best bet is to use the 2018 14" (in the states they call them 15" but they measure 14", 15" with the point) Poe Lang arrows for all around best performance. The 2" vanes are perfect no need for 4" or 5" vanes, they just slow the arrow down. I have put a few pics for you to look at of the arrows that I shoot through the Poe Lang and the bow. The one pic is the nock end of a cut down carbon arrow, I used an insert filled with putty epoxy and sanded it flat, this arrow works the best at 15.5" and 314 grains using a 75 grain tip. What bow model do I have by the way?

I have Poe Lang CR-006, you can easy fount on net just go on Poe Lang site in Crossbows.... It came without any optical sites, First i put on him a optical site from mine air rifle, Norica 3-9x40, But during this week Im thinking to check mounting the red dot. Actually before some time i bought Norica Goliat G88 Air rifle just for fun shooting and she came with red dot scope so i use them. I think i have to do just some modification on the rail... I ll consult main service here... From mine model of crossbow I'm very satisfied but i use him till now only for target practice. We have some preparation for pig hunt but first of all here is forbidden to do that with crossbow and second the temperatures in last week drop down and we will have some better weather. But im sure it will work fine fr that too...

semperfi1970
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Agvgstvs, good to hear from you. To bad the weather was not in your favor for the pig hunt. The only thing our poe langs have in common is the prod and string, yours is much nicer than mine from what I see on the poe lang web site. I was fooling around today trying to see how fast I could get the old Poe lang to shoot without busting something. What I came up with was a 13.5" arrow at 203 grains overall weight. I used a youth carbon arrow spined to 30 to 50 lbs. I had to cut down the insert, nock, use tiny vanes and turn down the field point in length to hit my overall desiered weight. It shot at 251 fps. Luck was on my side and I did not harm anything nor do I think it would as the polyester string is like a rubber band. It is flat shooting out to about 25 yards then the lite arrow poops out fast. No real advantage, not worth doing for any reason other than messing around, just thought you would like to know just what your poe lang can do. Just for fun, dont try this at home kids:D

dghals
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
poe lang crossbows?

Joe T.
12-16-2013, 10:02 PM
poe lang crossbows?

Aye, dghals,
Poe Lang just might be the world's biggest crossbow manufacturer. The most common model found in the U.S. is the Jaguar 175, but their products are sold under a whole host of brand names, world-wide. (We're a "fringe market" to them.) Many "Made in the U.S.A." crossbows are assembled here with P.L. parts.

Hardy Kruger
12-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Also sold as Perfect Line in the UK.

Nice little read this old thread. Think it's safe to say using wooden arrows fell out of favour years ago.
My bow came with 2 practice cedars, promptly buried in the ground forever first time out :) did make some replacements.... promptly lost/buried/smashed them.
As a tool for gathering food then falling back on woods on a recurve, or for quiet practice on the cheap. Not sure i would try them on a Scorpyd Vent :) woodies are dirt cheap to make......hmmm i wonder if it's frowned on for field target use, got a stack of wood shafts.