PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow string will not release/safety is broken

jeremyhowell
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I pulled my crossbow string back and when I goto fire it the trigger is unresponsive it just goes right back but will not release the string and the safety switch will not budge. Worked fine before.

I have tried the local gunsmith, and theyre less than hopeless, and I cant think of anyone else who would be open between now and next Monday within an hours drive, I really need help, I have a cocked crossbow sitting in the garage and I dont know what to do with it.

It is a buffalo river 120lb.

Longhair
11-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm unfamiliar with that peticular bow, but try switching the safety off and pulling the string to the cocked position again. I know that it's there already, or seems like it, but it might not be. Some bows won't properly cock if the safety is on when cocked.

jeremyhowell
11-12-2010, 12:30 AM
thanks for the reply. I got my brother to give me a hand, I took the pressure off the trigger, and he managed to get the safety switch off, and it was safely discharged. Thanks for the help, mate.

briarpatch
11-12-2010, 07:25 AM
there was a recall on these crossbows...here's what I could find:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/recalls/view/buffalo-river-crossbows

jeremyhowell
11-12-2010, 12:16 PM
ok.... well that could be a problem, as I bought this second hand. What should I do the seller really wants nothing to do with me now I've bought it,and he lives on the other island too. Is there a chance that it was manufactured before 2008, I mean it looks like its seen a few summers.

Longhair
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Call the phone number, or otherwise contact the manufacturer. If there's a recall, they'll tell you how to handle it. Their liability is too high to screw around. And being second hand should have nothing to do with it. It's a product liability issue, not warranty.

jeremyhowell
11-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Ive emailed them and tried to call them, so far no luck, I'll just have to wait for them to get back to me now. Bit disappointing I guess my bow will have to collect dust for a while then. :(

Longhair
11-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Keep calling. Most will respond to a call far faster than an e-mail. Don't wait! Or you'll be waiting for a while. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Crosshairs10
11-21-2010, 02:16 AM
Hey Buddy,

Call the BBB in their state and your state. Get names of the two people working on your case from each BBB, in each state. Keep their numbers hot after you've contacted the dysfunctional company.

Write your area congressman about a "dangerous" hunting weapon and also the head of the DNR of your State.

Respectfully,
Crosshairs10

Longhair
11-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Write your area congressman about a "dangerous" hunting weapon and also the head of the DNR of your State.Might not work the same in NZ as it does here in the US. :eek:

jeremyhowell
11-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Ive got a reply back from the company now, ive just got to send the bow off to their depot in Auckland to get fixed.

Thanks for the help everyone.